Bill has almost 40 years of experience in bankruptcy litigation. Bill is a calming and relaxed force while being a committed advocate for his clients.
Bill is the senior member of BFKN’s Bankruptcy & Creditor Rights Group. In recent years Bill has focused his practice on representing secured debt holders and landlords in Chapter 11 cases and other insolvency proceedings. Bill has litigated a broad variety of cases in the bankruptcy courts, including stay relief, adequate protection, cash collateral, plan confirmation and DIP financing motions brought by or involving secured creditors. In recent years, Bill’s secured creditor practice has included a number of cases involving real estate properties such as multi-family housing, shopping centers, leased industrial facilities, and farmland. He also consults with borrowers and creditors in strategies for resolving debtor/creditor problems.
- State of Illinois
- State of Michigan
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Southern California, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1985
- Michigan State University, B.A., with honors, 1980
Distressed Debt Funds
- Counsels investors in distress debt on issues relating to purchasing, restructuring, and enforcing such debt.
Commercial & Industrial Secured Loans
- Represents banks and non-bank lenders in connection with the restructuring and enforcement of secured working capital and term loans.
Corporate Restructurings & Insolvencies
- Represents agents and participants in workouts and Chapter 11 restructurings of $100,000,000+ credit facilities in a variety of industries.
- Chapter 7 trustee of McDonough Associates v. Bowman Consulting, U.S. N.D. Il. 2016 (concerned successor liability claim brought against transferee of engineering design firm).
- Sunbeam Products v. Chicago American Manufacturing, 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 13883 (7th Cir. 2012) (concerned effect of rejection of executory contract).
- Gouveia v. RDI Group (In re Globe Building Materials, Inc.), 484 F.3d 946 (7th Cir. 2007) (concerned application of new value defense in preference action).
- Village of Rosemont v. Jaffee (In re Emerald Casino), 482 F.3d 926 (7th Cir. 2007) (concerned state sovereign immunity in bankruptcy cases and enforcement under 11 U.S.C. §1142 of plan of reorganization provision against non-consenting state agency).
- Advanced Testing Technologies, Inc. v. Desmond (In re Computer Engineering Associates), 337 F.3d 38 (1st Cir. 2003) (concerned whether the assignment of payment rights under a contract with the United States government was a preference).
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2015-2023)
- Bankruptcy & Creditor Rights
- Insolvency & Reorganization Law
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2009-2023)
- Leading Lawyers Network (2011-2023)
- Illinois Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Chambers USA (2014-2022)
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2019)
- Noted Practitioner, Illinois Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Chambers USA (2013)
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, International Exchange of Experience on Insolvency Law
- Member, Michigan State Bar Association