As a commercial litigator advising clients in state and federal courts across the country, Nick takes a focused, efficient, and aggressive approach to resolving his clients legal and business issues.
Nick, a partner in BFKN’s Litigation Group, has a broad-based practice and significant experience in all stages of the litigation process. He advises clients in the fashion, real estate, and motor vehicle industries in complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts nationwide, with a keen focus on achieving favorable results at the earliest possible stage of any dispute. Nick has won case-dispositive motions for his clients at the motion to dismiss and summary judgment stages, in cases asserting trademark infringement and other intellectual property violations, violations of the Sherman Act, breach of contract, and fraud, among other claims. Nick also maintains an active practice advising clients in resolving disputes short of litigation, achieving efficient and favorable results without the burden of litigation.
Prior to joining BFKN, Nick was an associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Chicago.
While attending law school at the University of Michigan, Nick served as a contributing editor to the Michigan Journal of Race and Law and as a Senior Judge in its Legal Practice Program.
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2013
- DePauw University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2010
- Represented an automotive franchisor defendant in New Jersey state court litigation with a franchisee involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, and violations of state franchise statutes in a dispute related to the acquisition, operation, and sale of a franchise. Obtained summary judgment in full.
- Represented an automotive franchisor defendant in New Jersey state court litigation with a franchisee involving claims of violations of state franchise statutes. Case dismissed in discovery.
- Represented freight broker in cases in Illinois state and federal courts alleging breach of contract, negligence, and other claims regarding damages to shipments and equipment. Cases dismissed or settled favorably.
- Represented a market-leading luxury retailer in putative nationwide class action alleging violations of Sherman Act regarding retail employee compensation. Obtained dismissal with prejudice on Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss.
- Represented one of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers in putative nationwide class action alleging violations of Sherman Act regarding lease practices and policies. Case dismissed on Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss.
- Represent numerous banks in putative class actions regarding overdraft fee practices. Cases settled or ongoing.
- Represented a fashion company in litigation concerning claims of trademark infringement, unfair competition, and other claims. Case dismissed following Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss. OffWhite Prods., LLC v. Off-White LLC, 480 F. Supp. 3d 558 (S.D.N.Y. 2020).
- Represent a fashion company in litigation seeking declaratory judgment regarding non-infringement of marks. Case dismissed following Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss. MGA Ent., Inc. v. Louis Vuitton Malletier, S.A., No. 218CV10758JFWRAOX, 2019 WL 2109643 (C.D. Cal. May 14, 2019).
- Represent a fashion company in litigation concerning alleged copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and state law claims. Case ongoing.
- Provide ongoing counseling and litigation advice to commercial property owners in disputes regarding acquisitions and dispositions, premises conditions, and tenant issues.
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2020-2023)
- 40 & Under List, Benchmark Litigation (2022-2023)