Josh is a first-chair trial lawyer and counselor. Many of the world’s highest profile companies trust him to resolve disputes in ways that align with their business goals. Clients also seek Josh out before disputes arise, helping them to calibrate business strategies to reduce the risk of litigation or maximize leverage from potential claims.
Many of Josh’s clients are in the retail, manufacturing, and real estate development industries. He has championed their rights in a host of state and federal courts, arbitrations, and mediations. Because his clients’ businesses are often worldwide, so too is Josh’s practice, which includes complex cross-border discovery and privacy issues.
Josh also helps people in need and the greater legal community. His pro bono clients have included mentally ill patients in a large class action suit, a wrongfully convicted inmate seeking post-trial DNA testing, and a DREAMer seeking to stay in the U.S. In addition, he recently served as Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Federal Civil Practice Committee.
- State of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Michigan
- Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- Carleton College, B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, 2005
- As lead trial counsel for Louis Vuitton North America, Inc., saved Louis Vuitton millions when the arbitrator in a real estate dispute found in Louis Vuitton’s favor after an evidentiary hearing with multiple expert witnesses.
- Defeated contract-related claims for hundreds of millions of dollars in an international arbitration with a week-long evidentiary hearing.
- Helped successfully resolve the high-profile lawsuit filed by Cartier/Richemont against Tiffany & Co. Cartier v. Tiffany & Co., et al.
- As lead oral advocate, defeated injunctive claims in courts across the country against a distributor and seller of high-tech machines in “bet-the-company” litigation.
- Argued before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in defense of a complete victory secured over multi-million-dollar claims in the trial court.
- Prevented Louis Vuitton Malletier SA from being forced to litigate trademark issues with manufacturer of novelty toy purse called “Pooey Puitton” in the United States with victorious motion to dismiss. MGA Entertianment Inc. v. Louis Vuitton Malletier, S.A.
- Defeated defamation claims brought by an “influencer” against a leading retailer.
- Secured a favorable settlement to resolve multi-million-dollar claims of a former C-suite executive after a week-long evidentiary hearing.
- Helped represent Sephora in negotiations with Kohl's on a long-term strategic partnership and in a related dispute with a third party.
- Prevented or resolved multiple consumer class actions brought or threatened against various retail and luxury-goods clients.
- Defeated or successfully settled various trademark, copyright, and other IP claims.
- Counseled clients on litigation-related issues in luxury-retail leases and high-end construction contracts.
- Counseled clients on numerous non-compete and fiduciary-duty matters.
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2022-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2021-2024)
- Commercial Litigation
- Emerging Lawyers Network (2017-2023)
- 40 & Under List, Benchmark Litigation (2018-2023)
- Former Chair, Chicago Bar Association Federal Civil Practice Committee
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) Fellow, Civitas ChildLaw Center (2008)