Brandon applies his extensive litigation experience to help his clients reach resolutions that advance their business interests. From advising motor vehicle manufacturers on disputes with their distribution networks to counseling real estate clients on disputes concerning properties they own or lend against, Brandon seeks to understand what drives his clients’ businesses and lets that guide his approach in the conference room or the courtroom.
Brandon regularly counsels motor vehicle and powersports manufacturers on general dealer network initiatives, such as incentive programs, sales policies, facility programs, and specific disputes concerning their dealer networks, dealer agreements, and the federal and state regulations affecting the manufacturer-dealer relationship. Motor vehicle manufacturers also look to Brandon for counseling on other dealer network matters, including dealer ownership and management changes, manufacturer rights of first refusal, vehicle allocation, sales performance standards, customer satisfaction programs, and other initiatives to strengthen the dealer network. Brandon also guides client initiatives to improve dealer performance and strengthen dealer networks. For example, over a five-year period, Brandon managed a sophisticated dealer improvement program for a manufacturer with a large dealer network. The program helped the client achieve significant sales gains and an improved dealer network.
Commercial real estate clients also look to Brandon to advocate for their interests in disputes over commercial loans and guaranties, commercial leases, and mechanics liens.
Brandon has litigated numerous cases in federal and state courts and state agencies throughout the U.S. His time in Procter & Gamble’s Finance & Accounting division — prior to his legal career — gives him a business perspective that clients don’t often find from outside counsel.
When not attending to his clients’ needs, Brandon has enjoyed serving in several leadership roles in the Chicago Jewish community.
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals – 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Miami University, B.A., summa cum laude, B.S. in Business, summa cum laude, 2001
- Represented Volkswagen in state court action challenging termination of dealership. Summary judgment in favor of Volkswagen. Newton Volkswagen v. Volkswagen of America, Inc.
- Represented Lamborghini in state court termination action. Summary judgment for Lamborghini. Classic Motor Car Co. d/b/a Lamborghini Bergen County v. Automobili Lamborghini America.
- Represented Volkswagen in South Carolina federal court action seeking $8 million in damages for alleged coercion in connection with dealer’s obligation to build facility. Jury verdict entered for Volkswagen on all counts. Low Country Volkswagen LLC v. Volkswagen of America, Inc.
- Represented BRP US Inc. in federal court action challenging termination of dealerships. Glastonbury Cycle Center, Inc. v BRP US Inc.
- Represented BRP US Inc. in state administrative termination protest. Marker Oil Co., Inc. d/b/a Marker RV and Power Sports v. BRP US Inc.
- Represented FCA US LLC in state administrative protest involving change to area of responsibility. Dennis Silletto and Associates, Inc. d/b/a Glendora Chrysler Jeep Dodge v. FCA US LLC.
- Represented FCA US LLC in state administrative protest involving incentive program chargebacks. Premier Automotive of Placentia, LLC v. FCA US LLC.
- Represented FCA US LLC in state administrative protest involving incentive program chargebacks. Premier Automotive Products LLC d/b/a Premier Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM v. FCA US LLC.
- Represented FCA US LLC in state administrative protest involving supplemental dealership location. South Chicago Dodge Chrysler Jeep, Inc. v. FCA US LLC.
- Represented FCA US LLC in state administrative termination protest. McPeek's Dodge of Anaheim v. Chrysler Group, LLC.
- Represented Volkswagen in action seeking damages in connection with false incentive claims. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. v. Southern States Volkswagen, L.L.C.
- Represented Volkswagen in state administrative action challenging incentive program chargeback. Maxwell Volkswagen, Inc. v. Volkswagen of America, Inc.
- Represented Audi in New York federal court price discrimination claim challenging national vehicle incentive program. Classic Automobiles, Inc. v. Audi of America, Inc.
- Represented Audi in Ohio federal court action alleging price discrimination under the Robinson-Patman Act, the federal Automobile Dealers Day in Court Act, and the Ohio Motor Vehicle Franchise Act. Beechmont Audi, Inc. v. Audi of America, Inc.
- Represented bank against property developer’s claims for breach of contract and fraud. Trial court dismissed both claims, and Illinois Appellate Court affirmed. Aries Group Enterprises, Inc. v. First Bank, 2012 IL App (1st) 103216-U.
- Represented Plaintiff in claim alleging that the Defendants’ receipt of notices of intent to revoke permits from state regulators with respect to its licenses to operate three assisted living facilities in Georgia and Alabama violated a lease agreement with Plaintiff. The matter was resolved with the Defendants’ agreement to pay $97 million for the properties at issue, $3 million for a litigation settlement fee and agreement to pay all of Plaintiff’s fees and costs associated with the lawsuit. Ventas Realty, L.P. v. ALC CVMA, LLC (U.S.D.C., N.D Illinois).
- Represented bank in guarantors’ appeal of district court’s entry of summary judgment for bank for breach of guaranty. Seventh Circuit affirmed summary judgment. First Bank v. Cimerring, No. 08-2618 (7th Cir. Feb. 8, 2010).
- Represented bank against borrower and guarantors in mortgage foreclosure matter. Judgment of foreclosure entered against borrower and summary judgment entered against guarantors. MB Financial Bank, N.A. v. 841 Joint Venture, LLC.
- Represented receiver in claim brought in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois against the directors and officers of AA Capital Partners, Inc., an SEC-registered investment advisor, in a $60 million claim for violations of ERISA, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and conversion arising out of alleged misappropriation and misuse of investor funds. Porterfield v. Orecchio.
- Successful petition to the U.S. Department of Justice Immigration Court to grant asylum to an Iranian national who fled Iran after being targeted by the government for participating in the historic protests that followed the election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2009. This appears to be one of the first U.S. asylum cases connected with the widely reported 2009 election protests in Iran.
- Successful petition to the U.S. Department of Justice Immigration Court to grant asylum to an Egyptian couple who fled persecution in Egypt on account of their Coptic Christian religious beliefs.
- September 19-22, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2023)
- Franchise Law
- Emerging Lawyers Network (2015-2023)
- 40 & Under Hot List, Benchmark Litigation (2018-2019)
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2013-2019)
- Davis, Gidwitz & Glasser Young Leadership Award, Jewish United Fund (JUF) / Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago (2016)
- Chicago's Jewish 36 Under 36, Oy!Chicago and Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago (2012)
- Development Editor, Northwestern University Journal of International Human Rights (2006-2007)
- Charles Cheney Hyde Prize for Outstanding Paper on a Topic in Public International Law, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (2006 and 2007)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago
- Board of Directors (2014-2015, 2019-Present)
- Ben Gurion Society Advisory Committee (2018-2020)
- Campaigners Committee, Young Leadership Division (2017-2018)
- President, Young Leadership Division (2014-2015)
- Board of Directors, Young Leadership Division (2012-2016)
- Jewish Leaders Institute (2013-2015)
- Young Lawyers Group, Chair (2010-2012) and Campaign Co-Chair (2012-2013)
- Wexner Heritage Program for Jewish Leadership Development, Wexner Foundation (2017-2019)
- National Young Leadership Cabinet, Jewish Federations of North America (2011-2017)
- Vice Chair, Study Mission to Berlin and Israel (2015-2016)
- Representative, American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (2014-2015)
- Co-Chair for Engagement & Orientation (2013-2014)
- AIPAC Chicago Young Leadership Council (2012-2014)