Tom helps clients secure and maintain intellectual property protection for their intangible assets. His years of experience afford him unique insights for navigating the often-complex interplay of trademarks, design patents, and copyrights.
Tom concentrates his practice on various aspects of intellectual property. He works primarily in the areas of trademarks, designs patents, and copyrights, assisting clients with strategic considerations and implementation to grow their IP portfolios. A significant part of Tom’s practice is advising international clients on acquiring U.S. protection and post-registration maintenance. His work also involves regular collaboration with an extensive network of global IP professionals on behalf of clients. Tom’s broad experience allows him to develop practical and cost-effective approaches for protection, starting from the identification and acquisition of rights to the procurement of trademark and copyright registrations along with designs patents, and later portfolio maintenance and auditing in a variety of industries representing the firm’s diverse clientele.
In addition to his extensive prosecution work, Tom assists clients on numerous related issues including conducting diligence, advising on various IP-centric agreements, and formulating appropriate enforcement strategies. He is frequently involved in IP aspects of corporate transactions as well as oppositions, cancellations and other administrative proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Tom's practice further touches on licensing, right of publicity issues, domain name and online content disputes, false advertising, and other unfair competition.
- State of Illinois
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, cum laude, 2004
- Loyola University Chicago, B.S., cum laude, 2001
- Represented Kendo Holdings, Inc., a cosmetics and beauty incubator company owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and affiliated with Sephora, in strategic transactions related to the formation and launch of the brand Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its partnership with Shawn Jay-Z Carter, pursuant to which Moët Hennessy acquired a 50% stake in the Champagne brand, Armand de Brignac, previously wholly-owned by Jay-Z.
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its acquisition of a minority stake & distribution partnership with WhistlePig Whiskey.
- World Trademark Review 1000, The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals (2020)
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)