Sarah is a trusted strategic advisor to motor vehicle manufacturers, guiding them through the distribution of their products within the extensive state and federal regulatory landscape. Her significant business law & transactional background make her uniquely positioned to find creative solutions to solve complex business problems for her clients.
Sarah is a co-chair of BFKN’s Motor Vehicle Group and leads the Group’s transactional practice. With over a decade of experience in the industry, she helps motor vehicle manufacturers manage the sale and distribution of their products, including through counseling on franchise and dealer network matters, commercial relationships and regulatory concerns, and brand launches in the U.S. market. She also advises clients on evolving areas of the law, such as manufacturer direct sales, electric vehicle sales, motor vehicle e-commerce, and emerging mobility platforms, assisting clients with structuring and rolling-out initiatives in these areas.
Sarah’s practice also encompasses business planning, general corporate matters, and secured lending. She has extensive experience in structuring and documenting complex business arrangements for her clients, including in the areas of product distribution, supply chain management, and product sales and marketing. She also represents lenders in connection with secured transactions, with a focus on credit facilities secured by partnership and other investment interests, and has experience in motor vehicle consumer financing.
Sarah is very involved in firm life at BFKN and is an active member of numerous firm committees, including being the former co-chair of BFKN’s Pro Bono Committee. Sarah has also served as the Vice President of the Board of Directors of the North Lawndale Employment Network for 13 years. In that role, she acts as pro bono general counsel and has become a trusted advisor to both the board and executive director, particularly when they are faced with complex legal challenges.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker Law School, J.D., 1991
- American University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1988
- Represented U.S. distributor in successful exercise of right of first refusal and assignment to a preferred candidate in a buy-sell transaction involving two brands in the southeast region of the U.S.
- Advised U.S. distributor in complex market transaction that involved consideration of the exercise of ROFR and closure of a dealership in a multi-brand buy-sell transaction in the northeast region of the U.S.
- Represented U.S. distributor in documenting financial assistance to a dealer for the purchase of real property for a dealership renovation, including documentation and recording of a restrictive covenant for site control on the property.
- Represented U.S. manufacturer in establishing mobile safety recall service program.
- Assisted U.S. distributor in drafting and adopting dealer agreement and related documents, obtaining distributor state licensing, and appointing a dealer network.
- Represented U.S. distributor in drafting vehicle maintenance plan program documents, including dealer opt-in document and program rules, and customer maintenance plan documents.
- Represented U.S. distributor in resolving disputes concerning repurchase of dealer inventory following voluntary terminations of dealerships.
- Represented national company in the sale of its steel drum reconditioning business.
- Represented hedge fund in the purchase of subordinated debt from a portfolio company.
- Represented numerous ethanol production companies in going private SEC deregistration transactions, including through reverse stock splits and reclassifications.
- Represented related hedge funds in numerous PIPE investments in and convertible debt financings of companies in a range of industries.
- Represented Automobili Lamborghini America, in a collaboration with Lady Gaga and the Born This Way Foundation, a non-profit organization founded by Lady Gaga, to fundraise money for those disproportionally impacted by COVID-19.
- September 21-24, 2022NAMVBC 2022 Fall Workshop
- June 15-19, 2020
- September 18-20, 2019
- Crain’s Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting & Law (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2016-2023)
- Franchise Law
- Women Leaders in Pro Bono Legal Services, The Law Project (2014)
- Board of Directors, Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI)
- Immediate Past President, Executive Committee (2020)
- President (2018-2020)
- Vice President (2016-2018)
- Secretary (2014-2016)
- Treasurer (2012-2014)
- Vice President, Board of Directors, North Lawndale Employment Network