During his more than 40 year career as a real estate attorney, Tom has always focused on the goals and needs of his clients. His wealth of experience, work-ethic and service-driven, practical approach to legal issues and problems have made him an effective advocate and counselor for his clients.
Tom concentrates his practice on commercial real estate and related transactional matters. His broad-based real estate practice has given him in-depth knowledge relative to a wide range of real estate-related transactions, with a particular emphasis on representation of commercial developers and publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs). Tom has extensive experience in the negotiation of multi-property, multi-state master leases, as well as many other types of leases, and the representation of sellers and purchasers of commercial property. Tom’s practice also includes significant experience with tax-deferred exchanges and the representation of real estate lenders.
- State of Illinois
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1978
- University of Michigan, B.A., with high distinction, 1974
- Representation of landlords in connection with scores of leases with national and local retail tenants.
- Acquisition and financing of commercial real estate projects throughout the U.S.
- Representation of real estate owners in connection with I.R.C. Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges of property.
- Representation of publicly traded real estate investment trusts in connection with the acquisition and disposition of numerous senior housing facilities portfolios.
- Representation of publicly traded real estate investment trusts in connection with numerous master leases (e.g., a master lease relating to 200+ hospitals, nursing homes and senior living facilities) and master management agreements (e.g., a master management agreement relating to 150+ senior living facilities).
- Representation of franchisees in connection with the negotiation of franchise agreements for retail stores in multiple states.
- Negotiation of multiple joint venture agreement.
- Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2023)
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2006, 2012-2015, 2018-2019)
- University of Michigan Law Review, Associate Editor (1976-1977), Notes Editor (1977-1978)
- Phi Beta Kappa