Michael draws on his broad experience in commercial real estate to deliver impactful value to his clients. He applies a thoughtful, practical, and results-driven focus to understand his clients’ strategic and operational objectives and strives to achieve optimal results on their behalf.
Michael concentrates his practice on commercial real estate, acting as counsel and advisor to a broad range of clients, including real estate investment trusts, private equity firms, and other real estate investors and owners. His practice involves all aspects of real estate law, including acquisitions, dispositions, development, financing, and leasing.
Michael has significant experience with acquisition, disposition, financing, and leasing transactions involving office and industrial assets leased to governmental tenants, including the General Services Administration and various other federal, state, and local agencies and authorities across the country. He also handles all aspects of single-tenant, net lease transactions, including land acquisition, ground-up development, sale-leasebacks, complex ground leases, and the acquisition of newly constructed projects.
Michael structures and negotiates joint venture transactions pairing real estate owners and investors with institutional and private capital providers. He also acts as primary leasing counsel for clients ranging from global, publicly traded companies with properties across the U.S. to single asset owners.
- State of Illinois
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2002
- University of Washington, B.A., with honors, 1994
- Acquisition, financing, development, leasing, and joint venture structuring of industrial and office properties throughout the U.S. for private equity real estate firm.
- Acquisition, leasing, financing, and disposition of office and industrial properties leased to federal, state, and municipal governmental agencies.
- Representation of global, publicly traded real estate company in connection with leasing matters throughout U.S.
- Acquisition and re-development of vacant land, infill industrial and distressed properties, including multiple projects in New Jersey and Illinois.
- Negotiation of property acquisitions, leases, supply agreements, and equipment financing agreements for agricultural products company.
- Negotiation of multi-layered ground leases of private and publicly owned property.
- Representation and counseling of landlords of industrial, office, and retail properties in connection with property management, asset management, and operational matters.
- Negotiation of numerous joint venture relationships and counseling regarding strategies for maximizing results.
- Negotiation of leasing transactions of industrial, office, and retail properties throughout U.S.
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2011)