Joe has more than 20 years of real estate and corporate experience, including over a decade in-house with a large, publicly traded real estate investment trust. Joe’s perspective from leading a broad range of transactions both as a client and as outside counsel allows him to contextualize and navigate complex deal dynamics and anticipate his clients’ concerns.
Joe is a partner in BFKN’s Real Estate and Corporate & Securities Groups. His experience spans a broad range of complex commercial real estate and corporate transactions, including asset and portfolio acquisitions, mergers, leasing, management arrangements, financing, joint ventures, and development. His practice includes representing public and private owners, operators, and developers of senior housing, medical, life sciences, industrial, and office properties.
From 2000 to 2006, Joe was an associate in BFKN’s Real Estate Group concentrating his practice on real estate transactions for a wide variety of clients. Prior to rejoining BFKN, he served as Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel of Ventas, Inc., an S&P 500 Company and a leading healthcare real estate investment trust. During his time there, Joe led a six-attorney legal team, which managed and oversaw all legal aspects of transactions, from letter of intent to closing, including multibillion-dollar merger transactions, property acquisitions, mortgage financings, mezzanine financings, sale-leasebacks, development projects, joint ventures, and dispositions, both domestic and international. His team also oversaw all legal aspects of the Company’s asset management, securities and corporate governance, executive compensation, equity administration, human resources, tax and accounting, and various litigation matters.
- State of Illinois
- State of Vermont
- Harvard University Law School, J.D., 2000
- Michigan State University, B.A., General Business Administration/Pre-Law, with High Honor, 1996
- Acquisitions and dispositions of senior housing communities throughout the U.S.
- Joint ventures to acquire and develop industrial projects in Arizona.
- Negotiation of complex multi-state master leases of senior housing communities.
- Acquisitions and dispositions of industrial and office properties throughout the U.S.
- Recapitalization of multi-state portfolio of development projects.
- Negotiation of lease terminations and operator transitions for senior housing communities throughout the U.S.
- Negotiation of pension fund joint venture to acquire medical office and senior housing communities.
- Multi-billion-dollar mergers and acquisitions of senior housing businesses.
- Project-level joint ventures with regional and national developers/property managers for medical office and senior housing projects.
- Management of workouts and judicial and non-judicial foreclosure proceedings.
- Manage major litigation regarding senior housing lease default.
- Drafting of private letter ruling request to IRS and presentation to IRS at pre-submission conference.