Sandy brings a unique perspective combining his legal and business experience to assist his clients in viewing legal issues outside the box. Sandy’s clients appreciate his practical approach to counseling and structuring transactions and relationships to both prevent and solve problems in a manner that leads them to realize their strategic and operational goals. Sandy’s international background and experience have made him especially valuable to international clients looking to set up and operate their businesses in the United States.
Sandy is a partner in BFKN’s Corporate & Securities Group (having served as Chairman of the Group from 2001-2017), and concentrates his practice on general corporate, securities and international law matters. Sandy’s 40 years of experience have given him broad-based experience in a number of areas including domestic and international general corporate and new venture counseling, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, public offerings and private placements, private equity, joint ventures and contract negotiations. He has extensive experience working with domestic and foreign high tech businesses, as well as negotiating, structuring and documenting unique and complex mergers, acquisitions, financings, distribution arrangements, recapitalizations, university spin-offs, and resolutions of business disputes. He also has represented clients in a number of matters before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission.
Sandy works with a wide variety of clients and industries, including some of the largest industrial companies in the world, financial institutions, universities, and private equity and early-stage venture funds investing in industries ranging from established automotive and other industrial suppliers to high tech and web3 start-ups. Sandy’s clients are a diverse group of businesses including domestic, Pacific Rim and European entities involved in advanced technologies, industrial and consumer products, nuclear and conventional power infrastructure projects, manufacturing, and financial services.
In addition to his general corporate work, Sandy works with a number of not-for-profit entities on a pro bono basis. Sandy has co-authored several publications for the Practicing Law Institute on various aspects of federal securities laws, and he frequently speaks about mergers and acquisitions and various corporate-related issues at leading industry conferences throughout the U.S. and internationally.
Prior to joining BFKN, Sandy spent time in Tokyo, Japan, where he worked with Mori Hamada & Matsumoto (formerly Mori Sogo Law Offices) representing Japanese, European and American clients on a wide variety of international matters.
- State of Illinois
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1983
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business, M.B.A., 1983
- Duke University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1979
- Represented Hitachi in the formation of a multi-billion dollar global alliance with General Electric Company of their nuclear power plant businesses.
- Represented Wanxiang America Corporation and various affiliates including Neapco Holdings and Karma Automotive, in connection with various acquisitions, investments and transactions throughout the world.
- Represented WellSky (formerly Mediware Information Systems) in connection with multiple acquisitions of medical software companies.
- Represented Nizi International and its affiliates in connection with multiple acquisitions in the U.S.
- Represented Digital Garage and its affiliates in connection with multiple high-tech venture capital investments and divestitures.
- Represented Neoteny Funds and its affiliates in connection with the formation of various investment funds, acquisitions, divestitures, and university spin-offs.
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2020-2024)
- Corporate Law
- Leading Lawyers Network (2006-2023)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated 5.0 out of 5
- Secretary & Director, Chicago Tech Academy
- Member, American and Inter-Pacific Bar Associations
- Former Director, La Rabida Children’s Hospital
- Former Director, Performing Arts Chicago