Al leverages his extensive experience as a real estate attorney both in private practice and as in-house counsel to efficiently provide prompt and practical counsel to his clients. His background as in-house counsel gives Al a unique appreciation for, and perspective on, the challenges his clients face in a dynamic and evolving marketplace.
Al concentrates his practice on real estate. He advises clients on many facets of real estate law including acquisitions, leasing, development, and financing.
Before joining BFKN, Al served as Vice President and Associate General Counsel of Care Capital Properties, Inc., a multi-billion dollar REIT focused on the post-acute sector created via a spinoff from Ventas, Inc. Al's primary duties included oversight of the structuring and negotiation of investments, as well as the resolution of portfolio management matters.
Earlier in his career, Al was the Assistant General Counsel, Business Legal Affairs, of Ventas where he managed real estate transactions, both domestic and international, including acquisitions and joint venture agreements involving the development of medical office buildings and senior housing facilities.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Williams College, B.A., cum laude, 1999
- Represents various clients on the acquisition, disposition, financing, leasing, development, and management of healthcare facilities across the U.S.
- Represented cannabis real estate investment trust on approximately $40,000,000.00 of sale-leaseback investments in cultivation, distribution, and retail facilities in Michigan, Massachusetts, and Nevada.
- Represented real estate investment fund on “forward commitment” sales of four industrial properties in Pennsylvania and Texas for an aggregate sale price of $95,855,000.00.
- Represented real estate investment fund on $86,500,000.00 sale of the real estate and operations of a country club in Los Angeles, California.
- Represents clients in negotiating loans from institutional lenders secured by a broad array of real estate asset classes, including senior housing and industrial.
- Represents developer clients in negotiating construction and architecture contracts for industrial projects.
- Represents premier luxury brand client in negotiating retail leases across the U.S.