Matt’s practice transcends litigation and transactions. In the course of counseling dozens of financial, motor vehicle, and manufacturing clients, he has served not only as a trial attorney, but also a regulatory advisor, strategic counselor, and lead negotiator. At the onset of engagement, Matt asks the question: “Where do you want to end up?” His client’s answer allows him to formulate and implement a tailor-made strategy that furthers the client’s objectives and protects its interests.
Matt has counseled, advised, and defended a broad spectrum of clients that include motor vehicle manufacturers, manufacturing corporations, and financial institution clients. In addition to his litigation practice, Matt routinely counsels and litigates regarding warranties and aftersales issues, including the warranty terms, compensation paid to its warranty work providers, audits associated with warranty work (and potential chargebacks of warranty claims inappropriately submitted and paid), and the manufacturer’s interactions with customers seeking warranty service.
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
- Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington, J.D., cum laude, 2004
- Hanover College, B.A., 2001
- Lead attorney for various plaintiffs in lawsuits involving claims for millions of dollars owed under guaranty agreements, mortgages, and commercial leases. Matt’s actions and strategy allowed his clients to maximize their recovery.
- Lead attorney for defendant manufacturer in obtaining dismissal via summary judgment on appeal of warranty-related claims by co-defendant. Bd. of Educ. of Palmyra-Macedon C. Sch. Dist. v. Flower City Glass Co., Inc., 117 N.Y.S.3d 388 (N.Y. App. Div. 4th Dept. 2019).
- Lead attorney for a plaintiff electric motor vehicle manufacturer in an arbitration against the client’s lithium battery cell and module supplier. Matt’s client alleged that the supplier had provided defective battery cells and modules. After an arbitration hearing, Matt’s client was awarded damages in excess of $3.8 million.
- Lead defense attorney in action involving multi-million dollar claim for a breach of guaranty. Matt obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s claim by demonstrating that its claim was untimely.
- Lead attorney in successfully obtaining dismissal of a financial institution defendant from a class action involving allegations of consumer fraud and violations of Illinois mortgage law. Matt also successfully defended the dismissal on appeal.
- Trial attorney for a defendant motor vehicle manufacturer in a state agency action in which an existing dealer protested Matt's client's decision to terminate its dealer agreement. After a trial, the state agency approved the termination, allowing Matt’s client to terminate and appoint a new dealer.
- Trial attorney for a plaintiff demolition/construction company in dispute with state tax authorities regarding improper tax assessments. After a multi-day trial, the court ruled in favor of Matt’s client on all issues and ordered the refund to his client of all taxes improperly assessed and collected.
Transactional & Litigation - Warranty/Audit
- Lead attorney for defendant auto manufacturer in federal lawsuit seeking over $2 million relating to warranty compensation by plaintiff dealer. Matt successfully obtained dismissal with prejudice of the lawsuit on behalf of his client. Feldmann Imports Inc. v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC, 20-CV-0750 (WMW/KMM), 2020 WL 7310930 (D. Minn. Dec. 11, 2020).
- Drafting the warranties employed by several manufacturers nationwide.
- Defending manufacturers in warranty-related litigation, including those involving claims of breach of express and implied warranty, lemon law, Magnuson-Moss, and consumer fraud.
- Counseling regarding federal and state warranty regulations, including those concerning warranty work compensation rates and structures.
- Advising, defending, and resolving audit and chargeback disputes, including chargebacks due to instances of fraud, falsification of records, and failure to follow company policy.
- September 21-24, 2022NAMVBC 2022 Fall Workshop
- September 18-20, 2019
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2014-2019)
- Senior Managing Editor, Indiana Law Journal
- Moot Court Board
- Member, Rush University Medical Center Associates Board (2014-2021)