Jim is practical, thorough, and responsive in assessing his clients’ needs. He takes the time to understand his clients’ business objectives and strategic goals with respect to transactions and strives to offer creative recommendations to achieve their objectives. He provides enhanced coverage to his clients through the drafting of representations, warranties, and covenants.
As an associate in BFKN’s Corporate & Securities and Luxury Groups, Jim’s practice focuses on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital investments, and securities law matters. Jim provides general corporate advice and counseling as well as transaction-specific guidance. Jim also advises clients of potential risks and liabilities, and proposes recommendations, with respect to investments in, and acquisitions of, various targets.
Before joining the firm, Jim advised private equity sponsors and public and private companies on a variety of corporate and capital market transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public securities offerings, special purpose acquisition company formations (SPACs) and general corporate governance and securities law matters at Kirkland & Ellis LLP.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2019
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Finance & Accountancy, with honors, 2016
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its acquisition of Joseph Phelps Vineyards, a nearly five-decade-old producer of fine wines from Napa Valley and, more recently, the Sonoma Coast. The deal included 530 acres (215 hectares) of vineyards, including 429 acres (174 hectares) in nine Napa Valley estates and 99 acres (40 hectares) in two estates around the Freestone winery on the Sonoma Coast.
- Represented Pendulum, a strategic growth investing and advisory platform designed for founders and leaders of color, in a deal that raised $35 million in Series B funding for Saltbox, Inc., the flexible co-warehousing and small business logistics pioneer.
- PILI Fellow, Loyola University Community Law Center, Philip H. Corboy Law Center, Loyola University Chicago's School of Law (2019)
- Managing Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
- James Scholar, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign