Brett concentrates his practice on commercial real estate transactions. Brett's real estate practice contains significant involvement with publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs), investment advisors, and institutional lenders. His practice places particular emphasis on the acquisition, development and disposition of office, industrial, retail, and multi-family assets, sale-leaseback transactions, tax-free exchanges, build-to-suit projects and leasing of commercial projects. He also has significant experience with the formation of joint ventures that combine developers and other real estate professionals with institutional partners.
Serve as outside counsel to American Realty Advisors, LLC in connection with real estate acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, financing transactions, and asset management matters.
Serve as outside counsel to Dayton Street Partners in connection with its acquisition, disposition, development, leasing, financing, and asset management transactions.
Serve as outside counsel to First Industrial in connection with its real estate acquisition, development, disposition and leasing matters.
Serve as outside counsel to Westcore Properties in connection with its real estate acquisition and disposition transactions.
Activities & Honors
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America© (2021-2023)
- Real Estate Law
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2017-2022)
- Selected, Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2010-2014)
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
Articles & Publications
- "The Court Upholds a State Law Prohibiting Physician-Assisted Suicide,"Spring 1998 – Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
- November 3, 2022 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 18, 2022 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 4, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 19, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 21, 2021
- November 6, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2012
- January 2011
- January 2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
University of Michigan, B.A., with high distinction, 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- American Realty Advisors, LLC
- Dayton Street Partners
- Equity Residential
- First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc.
- Pacific Investment Management Company, LLC (PIMCO)
- Rexford Industrial Realty, Inc.
- Westcore Properties