As an associate in the firm's Litigation group, Carmel concentrates her practice on a wide range of complex litigation matters. Carmel represents clients in a variety of state and federal court lawsuits, including class actions, multidistrict litigations, and appellate briefing. Carmel’s current practice includes defending banks in overdraft fee litigation and challenges to merger acquisitions, representing motor vehicle manufacturers in litigation against dealers, and intellectual property matters ranging from trademark enforcement to defense of false advertising claims.
Prior to joining the Firm, Carmel worked for a large law firm in Chicago. She worked on cases involving health care regulatory compliance, ERISA fiduciary responsibilities, anti-money laundering and consumer fraud, products liability, breach of contract, and trade secrets claims. Additionally, Carmel represented clients in both internal investigations and government investigations brought by enforcement agencies such as the DOJ, SEC, and FTC. She also gained experience as a judicial clerk for the United States District Court for the District of Arizona where she drafted orders for pre-trial and dispositive motions filed in civil cases, ranging from employment discrimination to insurance coverage disputes to telecommunications law.
Carmel has worked on a range of pro bono immigration matters. She has helped individuals apply for asylum, and she worked on Ninth Circuit and Supreme Court appeals seeking to uphold a preliminary injunction barring the Department of Defense from implementing a policy restricting how legal permanent residents join the military.
Activities & Honors
- President, Latino/a Law Students Association, University of Chicago Law School
- Executive Topics & Comments Editor, The University of Chicago Law Review
- Rubenstein Scholar, University of Chicago Law School
- Clerk, Hon. G. Murray Snow, U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
Articles & Publications
- December 22, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: What to Know About OSHA’s COVID-19 Vaccination & Testing Emergency Temporary Standard for Private EmployersNovember 9, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- December 6, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 3, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., with honors, 2017
Arizona State University, B.A., History & Political Science, summa cum laude, 2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois