Barack Ferrazzano hires experienced lawyers in all practice areas both to serve existing clients as well as to strategically grow the Firm. In hiring lateral attorneys, we look for smart, skilled attorneys with top credentials who bring the weight of their experience to better serve our current and potential clients.
Laterals are offered an orientation training program to acquaint them with the Firm's technology, policies, and procedures. In addition, frequent informal group lunches are scheduled where new hires have opportunities to meet our other attorneys in small group settings.
To Contact Us
Our lateral hiring varies based on the needs of our practice groups. We are always considering applications from laterals and interested candidates should email both their resume and their law school transcript to:
Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP
ATTN: Lateral Careers
200 West Madison Suite 3900
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Associate, Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits
BFKN’s Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits Group is looking for an associate to work with all attorneys and staff in our Compensation & Employment practice group as well as attorneys and staff in other practice groups across the Firm.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assist in advising public and private companies in acquisitions, mergers, initial public offerings, and other similar transactions on issues related to executive compensation and employee benefits.
- Assist with researching, interpreting and providing advice on a variety of tax and securities laws, ERISA, contract law, and aspects of employment law relating to executive compensation agreements, including restrictive covenants.
- Draft plans, programs, agreements and ancillary documents related to executive compensation and employee benefits, including but not limited to, tax-qualified retirement plans (e.g., 401(k) plans and employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)), non-qualified deferred compensation plans, equity incentive plans, executive employment agreements, change in control agreements, retention bonus agreements, as well as representations, warranties and covenants relating to the foregoing subject matter as may be necessary to include in merger & acquisition related documents (e.g., merger agreements, stock purchase agreements, etc.).
- Responsible for researching issues relating to and drafting applicable securities disclosure documents relating to executive compensation and employee benefits, including relevant disclosures in annual proxy statements and Forms 10-K, Forms S-8 and Forms 8-K.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school and 5+ years of law firm or big 4 accounting experience.
- In good standing with state bar.
- Experience with applicable provisions of the Internal Revenue Code (e.g., Sections 162(m), 280G 401(a), 409A, etc.) and related Treasury Regulations, securities disclosure rules (e.g., Regulation S-K, etc.), ERISA and related DOL Regulations, M&A aspects of executive compensation and employee benefits, preferred.
- Ability to research, analyze, understand, communicate and apply technically precise provisions of applicable law, regulations and guidance.
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical abilities, particularly in developing conceptual understanding of new topics for yourself and others.
- Understanding of necessary compliances, such as SEC reporting obligations under the Securities and Exchange Acts related to director and executive compensation, preferred.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience completing registration statements, annual quarterly reports, and Section 16 reporting obligations, preferred.
- Ability to provide quality client service as well as building client relationships.
- Ability to collaborate effectively when working with a team.
Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP is an equal employment opportunity employer.