Our clients’ trademarks are more than source-identifiers. They are unique brands that represent their goodwill and symbolize a promise of quality. Our trademark prowess includes not only traditional marks such as word marks and logos, but also nontraditional marks such as trade dress, color marks, and sound marks.
We have extensive experience in all aspects relating to the development and protection of our clients’ trademarks, and we are honored to represent some of the world’s most well-known brands. Our trademark practice includes:
- Trademark Clearance. We conduct trademark clearance on a thorough and cost-effective basis for trademarks and trade dress, both domestically and worldwide.
- Prosecution & Maintenance. We regularly handle the registration and maintenance of large worldwide trademark portfolios, as well as opposition and cancellation proceedings. We have a network of skilled foreign associates with whom we have worked extensively.
- Counseling. We counsel our clients on how to strengthen the protection of their trademarks, on proper trademark usage, and on the most cost-effective way to build their brands.
- Policing. We routinely advise clients on the importance of policing their marks to prevent third-party use and handle these activities in a cost-sensitive manner, including the implementation of watch services and counseling regarding potentially infringing marks. We also consider the impact of social media when advising clients on how to protect their brands.
- Complex Transactions. We handle corporate transactions for famous brands, both domestically and internationally, in the context of acquisitions and sales. Not only are the attorneys in our group skilled at structuring transactions to enhance the protection of all aspects of IP rights, our strong litigation background enables us to identify and provide advice to minimize transactional risks.
- Licensing. We negotiate and draft a wide variety of trademark licenses. We also routinely handle assignments, security interests, and other agreements relating to trademark rights.
- Litigation. Our attorneys have nationwide experience in all aspects of trademark and trade dress litigation, including infringement, counterfeiting, false advertising, false endorsement, and dilution.
- ADR. We are highly experienced in using alternative dispute resolutions to achieve solutions to legal problems without litigation.