Michael is co-chair of the Firm’s Tax & Business Planning Group, he concentrates his practice on a broad array of federal tax issues. He has extensive experience in advising publicly traded and private real estate investment trusts (“REITs”) on business formations, initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, public and private debt/equity offerings, joint ventures and various UPREIT partnership transactions. He has also represented underwriters in numerous initial and secondary public offerings of REIT securities. Michael also counsels real estate developers, private equity firms, high-net worth individuals and other investors on the new Qualified Opportunity Zone tax program. In addition to his tax transactional practice, Michael also has advised publicly traded corporations (including REITs), large and small private companies, and high net worth individuals on a wide variety of complex tax issues at the examination, appeals and litigation stages.
Representation of Anchor Bancorp, Inc. in connection with its sale to Old National Bancorp (Nasdaq: ONB).
- First Defiance Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: FDEF) and United Community Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: UCFC) Merger
Represented First Defiance Financial Corp. (“First Defiance”) (Nasdaq: FDEF) in connection with its definitive merger agreement in which United Community Financial Corp. (“United Community”) (Nasdaq: UCFC), will merge into First Defiance in a stock-for-stock transaction.
Served as primary counsel to NYSE-listed industrial REIT with respect to several public offerings utilizing diverse structures, including a 12.5 million share of common stock ($65.6 million) firm commitment underwriting, various "bought deal" underwritten offerings of an aggregate of over 35.1 million shares of common stock for gross proceeds of over $450 million, continuous “at-the-market” programs offering up to 10 million shares, 12.5 million shares and 13.3 million shares of common stock, respectively, and direct stock sales of up to 5 million shares pursuant to a dividend reinvestment and direct stock purchase plan. The offerings utilized takedowns from a universal shelf registration statement on which we previously represented the company.
Represented Bankmanagers Corp. and its wholly owned subsidiary, Park Bank, in connection with its acquisition by First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. (“First Midwest”) (Nasdaq: FMBI).
Served as primary counsel to Invesque Inc. (TSX: IVQ.U) ("Invesque"), a healthcare real estate company serving the U.S. and Canada, in its acquisition of a number of senior living properties and Commonwealth Senior Living, LLC ("Commonwealth"), a transaction that will position Invesque as a leading healthcare platform and open the door for future growth.
Represented Level One Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: LEVL) in connection with its acquisition Ann Arbor Bancorp, Inc. ("Ann Arbor") and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Ann Arbor State Bank.
Representation of LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, aimed at taking minority stakes in emerging, iconic brands, in its equity investment in Gabriela Hearst LLC. Launched by its founder and namesake, Gabriela Hearst, the company is a New-York based luxury ready-to-wear, leather goods, and lifestyle company.
Represented QCR Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: QCRH) in connection with the divestiture of its wholly-owned subsidiary, Rockford Bank and Trust Company, to Illinois Bank & Trust, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Heartland Financial USA, Inc. (Nasdaq: HTLF).
Represented USAmeriBancorp, Inc. (OTC Pink: USAB), in connection with its merger with Valley National Bancorp (NYSE: VLY).
Activities & Honors
- Certified Public Accountant, Illinois, 1993
- Member, National Association of Real Estate Investments Trust ("NAREIT")
- Loyola University of Chicago Law Journal
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- April 3, 2020 – Speaker (Webinar)
Articles & Publications
- May 12, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 5, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 14, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 31, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 29, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 30, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- October 1, 2012
- February 3, 2020 – First Defiance Financial Corp. Press Release
- January 15, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 13, 2020 – Yahoo Finance
- January 2, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 16, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 28, 2019 – Globe Newswire Press Release
- August 1, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 6, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 14, 2019
- January 22, 2018 – Business Wire
- January 9, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 8, 2017
- July 13, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 1, 2016
- July 2016