Sandy is a partner in the Firm's Corporate & Securities Group (having served as Chairman of the Group from 2001-2017), and concentrates his practice on general corporate, securities and international law matters. Sandy’s general business practice has given him broad-based experience in a number of areas including domestic and international general corporate and new venture counseling, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, public offerings and private placements, private equity, joint ventures and contract negotiations. He has extensive experience working with domestic and foreign high technology businesses, as well as negotiating, structuring and documenting unique and complex mergers, acquisitions, financings, distribution arrangements, recapitalizations, university spin-offs, and resolutions of business disputes. He also has represented clients in a number of matters before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission. Sandy regularly works with a diverse group of businesses including domestic, Pacific Rim and European entities involved in advanced technologies, industrial and consumer products, nuclear and conventional power infrastructure projects, manufacturing and financial services.
Sandy spent September 1990 through September 1991 in Tokyo, Japan, where he worked with Mori Hamada & Matsumoto (formerly Mori Sogo Law Offices) representing Japanese, European and American clients on a wide variety of international matters.
In addition to his general corporate work, Sandy works with a number of not-for-profit entities on a pro bono basis. Sandy has co-authored several publications for the Practicing Law Institute on various aspects of federal securities laws, and he frequently speaks about mergers and acquisitions and various corporate-related issues at leading industry conferences throughout the U.S. and internationally.
Represented Hitachi in the formation of a multi-billion dollar global alliance with General Electric Company of their nuclear power plant businesses.
Represented Wanxiang and various affiliates including Neapco Holdings and Karma Automotive, in connection with various acquisitions, investments and transactions throughout the world.
Represented WellSky (formerly Mediware Information Systems) in connection with multiple acquisitions of medical software companies.
Represented Nizi and its affiliates in connection with multiple acquisitions in the United States.
Represented Digital Garage and its affiliates in connection with multiple high-tech venture capital investments and divestitures.
Represented Neoteny and its affiliates in connection with the formation of various investment funds, acquisitions, divestitures and university spin-offs.
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2006-2019)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated 5.0 out of 5
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Chicago Tech Academy
Articles & Publications
- June 7, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 18, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- October 6, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 6, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- October 16, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 29, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 25, 2017 – Press Release
- July 27, 2017 – Above the Law
- January 28, 2015
- April 2011
- July 2010
- February 2009
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1983
University of Chicago Booth School of Business, M.B.A., 1983
Duke University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1979
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- Digital Garage
- Ellison Technologies
- Georg Fischer
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
- MDC Interior Solutions
- Neotney Funds
- Nizi International
- The Horton Group
- Wanxiang America Corporation
- WellSky/Mediware Information Systems
- Wolfram Research