Shermin concentrates her practice on strategy development and implementation in complex and bet-the-company contractual, intellectual property, fraud and employment litigation related disputes for a variety of domestic and international corporations. Shermin’s practice extends to federal, state and appellate courts throughout the country.
In addition, she served as an active corporate partner of the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO), where she advised women business owners on every aspect of their business, and was a commentator on NPR on foreign policy issues. Shermin works with a number of non-profit entities on a pro bono basis in both civil and criminal cases, and received an award for her pro bono efforts by Illinois Legal Aid Online. She serves on several non-profit boards, and has formed her own non-profit entities.
An avid writer, Shermin is a contributor for 'The World Post' section of The Huffington Post. She served as a columnist for Chicago Lawyer magazine for several years, advising attorneys on ways to succeed in a law firm environment while balancing their personal lives. She is the co-author of the 2006, 2008 and 2013 editions of the Contract Law Handbook, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. She also has creative writing pieces published in several national anthologies. In May 2014, Shermin's first novel Butterfly Stitching was published and is now available on Amazon.
Represented Motiva Enterprises (a joint venture of Shell and Saudi Aramco) in three consolidated actions brought in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, alleging Sherman Act violations in the refined petroleum products market.
Represented Shell in consumer class action in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, alleging oligopolistic control over prices in retail gasoline market.
Represented Louis Vuitton Malletier, a division of LVMH, in successful appeal to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, obtaining a reversal of the district court’s denial of Louis Vuitton Malletier’s motion for preliminary injunction in a trademark infringement action.
Barack Ferrazzano attorneys succeeded in petitioning the U.S. Department of Justice Immigration Court to grant political asylum to an Iranian national, who fled Iran after being targeted by the government for participating in the historic protests that followed the election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2009. This appears to be one of the first U.S. asylum cases connected with the widely reported 2009 election protests in Iran.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Emerging Leaders Class of 2018
- Selected, 2016 Women of Influence, Chicago Business Journal (2016)
- Former Corporate Partner, National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) (2008)
- Named, "Pro Bono Attorney of the Month," Illinois Legal Aid Online (May 2008)
- Editor & Contributor, Dicta, Michigan Law School Literary Journal (2001)
- Associate Editor, Michigan Journal of Law Reform (2001)
Charitable & Community Organizations
- Director, ACLU of Illinois (2016–Present)
- Director, Heshima Kenya (2015-Present)
- Co-founder & Director, Pasfarda Arts & Cultural Exchange (October 2008–Present)
- Former Director, Lincoln Park Community Shelter
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
Articles & Publications
- 3/2/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 10/6/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 5/13/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 4/11/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 4/2013 – Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- Co-Author, "Rights, Legal Remedies, and Calculating Damages for Breach of Contract," Chapter 13, IICLE Contract Law, (2006, 2008, 2013)1/30/2013
- 11/2012 – Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- 9/2012 – Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- 7/2012 – Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- 5/2012 – Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- 3/1/2012 – Chicago Lawyer
- 11/2011 – Chicago Lawyer
- 11/2010 – Chicago Lawyer
- 7/2010 – Chicago Lawyer
- 3/2010 – Chicago Lawyer
- 3/2010 – Chicago Lawyer
- 11/2008 – Chicago Lawyer
- 6/2008 – Chicago Lawyer
- 12/2007 – Chicago Lawyer
- Author of creative writing pieces in various poetry journals and national anthologies
- 7/27/2017 – Above the Law
- 9/14/2016 – Law360
- 10/2/2014 – Smart Business
- 7/9/2014 – Halfstack Magazine Online
- 7/1/2014 – TCW
- 6/10/2014 – Examiner.com
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
University of Toronto, B.S., honors degree, 1999
Candidate, Masters in Fine Arts, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton