Howard is one of the founders of Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP. He concentrates his practice on commercial real estate and related corporate, securities and business planning matters. Howard has extensive experience in the formation of joint ventures between institutional partners and developers and in the acquisition, development, leasing and disposition of office buildings, shopping centers and other retail locations, multi-family housing, industrial buildings and mixed used facilities, as well as real estate financings, restructurings and foreclosures.
Howard is frequently recognized as one of real estate law's top-ranked practitioners in Illinois by Chambers USA; Best Lawyers in America; Who's Who Legal; Super Lawyers; and the Leading Lawyers, among others. Most recently, Howard was named the Best Lawyers® 2014 Chicago Litigation - Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year.”
Represented numerous REITs and other real property owners in connection with the acquisition, development or disposition of hundreds of office, retail, senior housing, apartment, condominium and industrial properties, involving billions of dollars, throughout the United States.
Represented both landlords and tenants in leases involving millions of square feet in shopping center, office and industrial leasing projects.
Represented numerous financial institutions in connection with hundreds of real estate loans related to properties throughout the United States with an outstanding aggregate indebtedness of billions of dollars.
Represented numerous financial institutions in connection with the restructuring of, or litigation regarding loans secured by mortgages on over 100 different properties located throughout the United States with an outstanding aggregate indebtedness of billions of dollars.
Professional & Community Activities
- Top Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2008-2018)
- Selected, Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2018)
- Litigation - Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Law
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-2018)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2016)
- Top Ten Real Estate (2016)
- Top 100 Real Estate: Commercial & Finance
- Named, Chicago Litigation - Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year,” Best Lawyers in America® (2014)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Selected, Legal 500
- Selected, Who's Who Legal
Other Events & Speaking Engagements
- Has spoken at numerous seminars and conferences on various joint venture, real property, secured lending and workout related issues.
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP as Top Illinois Law Firm for 11th Consecutive YearMay 16, 2018
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 1, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 25, 2017 – Press Release
- August 15, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- May 16, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- June 2016
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Partners Named 2016 Top Ten Real Estate Lawyers in IllinoisMarch 2016
- January 11, 2016
- November 2, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- January 14, 2015 – Super Lawyers
- November 3, 2014
- August 20, 2014
- June 11, 2014
- November 2013
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive YearJune 10, 2013
- January 2013
- August 2012
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 2012June 12, 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- June 2011
- April 2011
- January 2011
- July 2010
- January 2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm again by 2009 Chambers USAJuly 2009 – Chambers USA
- February 2009
- July 2008 – Chambers USA
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1979
Northwestern University, with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- Bank of America
- EquiTrust Life Insurance Company
- Neuberger Berman
- Retail Properties of America, Inc.
- The John Buck Co.