Maria is an attorney in the Firm's Real Estate Group. She focuses her practice on the preparation and negotiation of leases and related property management matters for shopping centers, office parks and warehouses for both tenants and landlords. Maria has extensive experience in a full range of lease-related document preparation and negotiation matters; this includes guarantees, letters of intent, subleases, SNDAs, settlement agreements and license agreements.
She has represented parties in the negotiation of a 106,000 square foot industrial lease, a national restaurant chain in connection with the negotiation of leases throughout the United States, and revised and negotiated for a major expansion of a regional Illinois shopping center. Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, Maria was an attorney with an international multi-practice firm providing legal service in a wide array of global and domestic business transactions.
Maria has a passion for learning - both professionally and personally - and enjoys an array of interests outside of the boardroom. An avid world traveler, she thrives on immersing herself in the local culture of her destinations - among her favorites are Iceland, Egypt, Italy and the Galapagos Islands. Maria's travels give her endless inspiration for her other interests - photography, the theatre and genealogy. She actively serves her community through a variety of organizations - and if there is any time left in the day, she can be found either with her book club or a challenging crossword puzzle.
Professional & Community Activities
- Director, League of Women Voters of Naperville
- The American Association of University Women, Naperville Chapter
- Co-Chair Program Committee
- Board Member
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award for Collective Bargaining
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member, Rhea of Hope Foundation, Scholarship Committee
- Member, Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- "Negotiating Commercial Leases"November 2016 – Speaker
Articles & Publications
- Real Property-Statutory Developments1988-1989 – Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law
- July 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release