As Chair of both the Fashion, Luxury & Retail Group and the Corporate & Securities Group, Dan assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, strategic business planning, corporate counseling and contractual matters and negotiations, with an emphasis on:
- Domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, other business combinations and equity and debt investments
- Counseling Firm clients on a variety of legal and business issues, including day-to-day operations, strategic planning, recapitalizations, contract and licensing issues, compliance and dispute avoidance and resolution
- Entity formation matters for emerging businesses, including advising on appropriate corporate structures and drafting operating agreements, shareholder control and buy-sell arrangements
Dan, who counts a number of European-based companies and their U.S. subsidiaries among his clients, provides daily counsel to companies over a wide range of industries, from railcars to automotive parts to wireless communications, but a large portion of his time is spent working in the fashion, wines and spirits, beauty and luxury goods industries. Dan also regularly negotiates brand ambassador and licensing deals with prominent celebrities for luxury brands.
Dan serves on a number of Firm committees, including the Strategic Planning, Diversity, Recruiting and Pro Bono committees.
The Firm has a longstanding relationship with LVMH, an iconic luxury goods and services conglomerate with 60+ brands, serving as outside counsel for its corporate and real estate transactions, as well as intellectual property and litigation matters around the world, and providing strategic legal counsel in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, brand management, employment agreements, and endorsement agreements.
Representation of various luxury companies in their acquisitions of, and strategic joint ventures with the founders of, emerging beauty brands, including Bliss, Fresh, Benefit, Ole Henriksen of Denmark, Urban Decay, Hard Candy, Bite Beauty, Kat Von D Beauty and Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
Representation of Moët Hennessy and its affiliates in the acquisitions of Newton Vineyard, Belvedere and Chopin vodkas, 10-Cane rum, Woodinville Whiskey Company and an equity interest in Colgin Cellars.
Representation of VTG North America and VTG Rail, US subsidiaries of VTG AG, the largest railcar lessor in Europe, in their acquisitions of railcar assets from various third parties, including Sumitomo, General Electric Capital, Babcock & Brown and CIT Group, and ongoing general counseling in the companies’ railcar leasing businesses.
Following his representation of Neapco in its acquisition of a drivelines division of an affiliate of Ford Motor Company, Dan continues to represent Neapco in the areas of corporate structuring, intellectual property, contractual negotiations, employment and real estate matters as Neapco has grown to become one the world’s largest driveshaft and half-shaft manufacturers.
Representation of LVMH in a complex corporate restructuring of the Marc Jacobs companies to strategically align the interests of its founders and investors.
Representation of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton in its acquisition of a UK company that owns Hotel Saint-Barth Isle de France, a 5-star hotel located on the Caribbean Island of St. Barthémy. The acquisition involved complex holding structures that required extensive tax planning and negotiations with minority shareholders.
Representation of various luxury goods companies in their negotiations of various relationship deals with prominent actors, musicians and celebrities, including Emma Stone, Alicia Vikander, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, Michelle Williams, Will Smith, Sophie Turner, Justin Theroux, Laura Harrier, Ruth Negga, Riley Keough, Jaden Smith, Brittany Spears, Mila Kunis and Sharon Stone.
Representation of Safecor Health in its acquisition of Regional Service Center, the largest pharmaceutical repackaging company in the eastern United States.
Representation of Kendo Holdings, Inc., a cosmetics and beauty incubator company owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and affiliated with Sephora, in strategic transactions related to the formation and launch of the brand Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
Professional & Community Activities
- Recognized Practitioner, Illinois Corporate/M&A & Private Equity, Chambers USA (2017-2018)
- Adjunct Professor, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Vice President, Hispanic Law Students Association (1996-1997)
- Member, Christian Law Students Association (1994-1997)
Charitable & Community Organizations
- Member, Neighbors (Community Outreach Program), (1994-1997)
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- May 15, 2018 – Speaker (London, UK)
- May 16, 2017 – Speaker (London, UK)
- May 17, 2016
- May 19, 2015
- Kellogg School of Management's 2014 Merger Week: Creating Value Through Strategic Acquisitions & AlliancesOctober 2014
- December 5, 2012
Other Events & Speaking Engagements
- Kellogg School of Management, Merger Week: The Structure of an Acquisition
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP as Top Illinois Law Firm for 11th Consecutive YearMay 16, 2018
- February 6, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 22, 2018 – Business Wire
- September 1, 2017
- July 27, 2017 – Above the Law
- July 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- June 9, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- February 7, 2017
- December 1, 2016
- July 2016
- September 11, 2015
- July 2015
- November 14, 2014
University of Chicago, J.D., with honors, 1997
Houghton College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1994
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- Christian Dior
- Louis Vuitton
- Marc Jacobs
- Moët Hennessy USA
- Neapco Holdings
- Sephora USA
- VTG North America