Nathan is the chair of the Firm's Bankruptcy & Creditor Rights Group. He has extensive experience in all aspects of business reorganizations and bankruptcies, inside and outside of court restructurings, including:
- Representation of debtors, asset purchasers, creditors, and landlords in small to large, complex Chapter 11 cases.
- Counseling parties in business restructuring and liquidation situations outside of bankruptcy such as assignment for the benefit of creditors and forbearance agreements.
- Representation of suppliers to bankrupt and other distressed entities, including counseling on and prosecuting 503(b)(9) claims, advising on post-petition credit, and defending preference claims.
- Works with transactional lawyers on deal structures and providing legal opinions that support secured financings.
Nathan is distinguished among his peers, consistently recognized in the areas of Bankruptcy and Reorganization in the Illinois Super Lawyer publication and in the Commercial Bankruptcy and Workout Law categories in the Leading Lawyer publication, and receiving the Peer Review Rating – AV Preeminent, the highest peer rating standard by Martindale-Hubbell.
Nathan is actively involved in volunteer and charity work. He served as co-chair of the Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee and serves on the Volunteer Attorney Panel in the Northern District of Illinois. Outside the practice of law, Nathan has worked with World Bicycle Relief for years to fundraise and raise awareness for its mission to provide large-scale, comprehensive bicycle distribution programs to aid poverty relief in developing countries around the world.
Nathan is an active runner, often racing all distances from 5ks to marathons. Combining charity work with running is a passion. Nathan has used running to fundraise for Chicago Coalition for the Homeless, Asha for Education, and World Bicycle Relief (WBR), most recently having run 2,600 miles in 2019 to support WBR.
Activities & Honors
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2017-2020)
- Selected, Super Lawyers
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2016-2020)
- Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyers (2019)
- Illinois Rising Stars (2009-2015)
- Member & Author, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Advisory Board
- Mid-Level Professional Development Program (Chicago), Advisory Board
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Cannabis Law Section
- Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Section
- Member, Co-Chair, Northern District of Illinois Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee (2010-2012)
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rating - AV Preeminent
- Volunteer Attorney Panel - Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- Ethics in BankruptcyJune 2013 – Presenter (Chicago Bar Association)
- CBA Bankruptcy & Reorganization CommitteeApril 2012 – Presenter (Seventh Circuit Roundup)
Articles & Publications
- April 15, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 27, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Caesars and § 105 Injunctions: Bold Expansion by Seventh Circuit, or Just More of the Same?August 2016 – American Bankruptcy Institute Journal
- Rejection Goes RetroFebruary 2016 – ABI Journal
- IICLE Business Bankruptcy Practice2011 - Present – Contributing Author
- May 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 29, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 6, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 24, 2019
- January 29, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2000
Dartmouth College, B.A. History, 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court - Central District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Indiana