Karyn is a corporate attorney with over ten years of experience in corporate and securities law, with a concentration in transactional intellectual property law. Karyn also has significant experience in privacy law.
Her general corporate practice includes counseling public and private companies in all phases of strategic transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, and sale transactions. In addition to negotiating purchase and sale agreements and other complex strategic transaction documents on both the buy and sell sides, Karyn advises clients on the intellectual property issues inherent in business transactions, including intellectual property-related due diligence and risk evaluation.
Karyn’s work in the intellectual property arena also includes: drafting and negotiating a variety of non-patent intellectual property license agreements and other arrangements on behalf of both licensors and licensees, including agreements relating to trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, and software; drafting and negotiating software development and resale agreements; advising clients on invention and other proprietary rights assignment agreements; and assisting clients with the evaluation of their intellectual property portfolios.
In addition, Karyn helps clients keep abreast of developments in the areas of privacy and data protection and advises clients on applicable disclosure and compliance requirements. Her breadth of knowledge in these areas extend to the FTC regulations and the privacy of laws of various states. Furthermore, she assists clients in developing and revising privacy and consumer disclosures, terms of service, and other privacy and consumer protection issues, based on applicable information technology protocols and personnel capabilities.
Karyn also provides general corporate legal counsel to clients of all sizes in a range of industries, advising individuals and entities on a broad range of corporate matters, including complex contract negotiation, compliance and enforcement, and general operational matters. She also represents both investors and entities in capital-raising and financing transactions.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- May 1, 2018 – Speaker (Salem, OR)
Articles & Publications
- December 11, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 17, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- September 26, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- August 1, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 2, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 4, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination CycleDecember 20, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- December 6, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- October 6, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- September 30, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 13, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 11, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 18, 2015 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- February 24, 2015
- November 2, 2012
- January 3, 2012
- June 27, 2011
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
DePaul University, B.S., with highest honors, 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois