Mike has extensive experience representing clients across a wide-range of industries in all aspects of civil litigation in both state and federal court, as well as administrative proceedings across the country. His broad litigation background and considerable base of industry-specific experience allow him to better counsel clients to achieve their goals and protect their business interests via unique tailor-made strategies, while always being prepared to try cases to verdict.
Over the course of his litigation matters, Mike has worked with experts in a wide range of fields, including leading experts in economics, valuation, corporate finance, forensic accounting, federal and international taxation, transfer pricing, leasing, energy, medical device manufacturing, and franchising.
Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, Mike was an associate with a global law firm where he served corporations and individuals in tax controversy matters in both the U.S. Tax Court and federal district court. Mike continues to leverage his extensive tax controversy, transfer pricing, and valuation experience both to advocate for clients in active litigation and to provide long-term strategic counseling.
Several of Mike’s most recent cases have resulted in resounding victories for clients, including:
- A motion to dismiss in a California proceeding in which the claimant responded by unilaterally electing to dismiss the case.
- Representation of a defendant in a plaintiff’s appeal that was dismissed by the Illinois Appellate Court.
Mike has been an active participant in pro bono legal services. He has previously represented individuals in taxation, special education, and family law, and recently aided a pro bono client in achieving asylum in the United States without opposition from the government, based on persuasive and detailed briefing that was specifically commended by the judge.
Outside the Courtroom
Mike devotes his free time to chasing after his rescue dog, cooking for friends and family, and hoping for another Chicago Bears Super Bowl title.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Taxation Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Pediatric Cancer Research Board
- Comments Editor, The Chicago Journal of International Law
- Recipient, Casper Platt Award, University of Chicago Law School (2014)
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- Quick-Peek Reviews under Federal Rule of Evidence 502: Advantages and Disadvantages in Discovery and Privilege DisputesFebruary 2018 – Speaker (CBA Commercial Litigation Committee)
- Transfer Pricing Litigation Round-UpMay 2017 – Panel Discussion (ABA Taxation Section)
Articles & Publications
- February 25, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- “The Common European Sales Law’s Compliance with the Subsidiarity Principle of the European Union,”Spring 2013 – Volume 14, Chicago Journal of International Law, No. 1, Article 10
- October 23, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 1, 2017
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2014
Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2011
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court