K.C. concentrates his practice on executive compensation, employee benefits and tax matters. Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, he was a senior tax and employee benefits associate in the National Tax Department of Ernst & Young, LLP. During his time there, K.C. assisted clients with a wide range of compensation and tax related activities, such as the review and examination of employee retirement, health and welfare, and executive compensation plans and agreements, through tax planning, compliance and operational analyses. He has experience conducting comprehensive reviews of qualified retirement plans, including pension, 401(k) and profit sharing plans for Fortune 150 companies to ensure compliance with the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor and remediation of failures through voluntary correction programs, as well as examining non-qualified deferred compensation plan documents for compliance with the Internal Revenue Code, including Section 409A. In addition, K.C. has conducted pension governance audits to assess whether plan sponsors have properly discharged fiduciary duties under ERISA Title I and has determined payments due to executives upon changes of control.
Along with his compensation and tax practice, K.C. dedicates his time on a pro bono basis preparing wills and power of attorney documents for the Wills For Heroes Foundation, a program which provides essential legal documents free of charge to our nation’s first responders.
Representation of Anchor Bancorp, Inc. in connection with its sale to Old National Bancorp (Nasdaq: ONB).
Representation of First BancTrust Corporation (OTCQX:FIRT) in connection with its sale to First Mid-Illinois Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: FMBH).
Representation of First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE) in connection with its acquisition of First Community Financial Partners, Inc. (Nasdaq: FCFP).
Representation of First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE) in connection with its acquisition of Mid Illinois Bancorp Inc.
Representation of Guaranty Federal Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: GFED) in connection with its acquisition of Hometown Bancshares, Inc.
Representation of Level One Bancorp, Inc. in connection with its $32 million initial public offering of common stock.
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2017-2019)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee
- Member, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- Member, Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Wills for Heroes, Prepare wills and power of attorney documents on pro bono basis
- Recipient, Highest Performance Award in Taxation 2, University of Wisconsin Law School
Articles & Publications
- December 28, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 2, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 4, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination CycleDecember 20, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- November 29, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 19, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 2, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- August 11, 2015
- February 1, 2019 – St. Louis Business Journal Press Release
- January 24, 2019
- January 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 22, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- July 26, 2018 – Peoples Bank Press Release
- May 17, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 1, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- April 2, 2018 – Globe Newswire
- March 20, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 28, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 9, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- October 2, 2017 – Globe Newswire
- August 8, 2017
- July 27, 2017
- July 21, 2017
- January 26, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- December 1, 2016
- July 2016
- July 2016
- June 13, 2016
- April 15, 2016
- December 4, 2015
- December 3, 2015
- November 12, 2015
- Alerus Financial Expands Service Offerings with Acquisition of Alliance Benefit Group North Central States, Inc.October 22, 2015
- September 28, 2015
- February 18, 2015
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Masters of Accountancy, 2008
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Business Administration in Accounting, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Wisconsin