K.C. concentrates his practice on executive compensation, employee benefits and tax matters. He has significant experience advising public and private companies in acquisitions, mergers, initial public offerings, and other similar transactions on issues related to executive compensation, including issues related to excess parachute payments and deferred compensation under Code Sections 280G and 409A. In addition, he assists public company clients in all matters of compliance with SEC reporting obligations under the Securities and Exchange Acts related to director and executive compensation, including proxy and registration statements, annual and quarterly reports, and Section 16 reporting obligations.
K.C. regularly counsels clients in the design and implementation of employment agreements, equity and incentive compensation arrangements, and deferred compensation plans. He also has significant experience conducting comprehensive reviews of defined benefit pension, 401(k), ESOP, and health and welfare plans to ensure compliance with the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, and the Affordable Care Act, as well as remediation of plan failures through Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor correction programs.
Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, K.C. worked in the national tax department of a big four accounting firm where he assisted clients with a wide range of compensation and tax related activities, including the review and examination of employee retirement, health and welfare, and executive compensation plans and agreements, through tax planning, compliance and operational analyses.
Along with his compensation and tax practice, K.C. dedicates his time on a pro bono basis preparing wills and power of attorney documents for the Wills For Heroes Foundation, a program which provides essential legal documents free of charge to our nation’s first responders.
Representation of Anchor Bancorp, Inc. in connection with its sale to Old National Bancorp (Nasdaq: ONB).
Served as issuer’s counsel for Bridgewater Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: BWB) in connection with its initial public offering.
Represented First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE), in connection with its definitive agreement to acquire Investors’ Security Trust Company.
Represented First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE), in connection with its acquisition of The Banc Ed Corp.
Representation of First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE) in connection with its acquisition of First Community Financial Partners, Inc. (Nasdaq: FCFP).
Representation of First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE) in connection with its acquisition of Mid Illinois Bancorp Inc.
Represented First BancTrust Corporation (OTCQX: FIRT) in connection with the acquisition by First Mid-Illinois Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: FMBH).
Represented Guaranty Federal Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: GFED) in connection with the merger with Hometown Bancshares, Inc.
Served as counsel for Level One Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: LEVL) in connection with its initial public offering.
Represented Midland States Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: MSBI) in connection with its acquisition of Alpine Bancorporation, Inc.
Represented ATBancorp in connection with the acquisition by MidWestOne Financial Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOFG).
Represented QCR Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: QCRH) in connection with the divestiture of its wholly-owned subsidiary, Rockford Bank and Trust Company, to Illinois Bank & Trust, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Heartland Financial USA, Inc.
Represented USAmeriBancorp, Inc. (OTC Pink: USAB), in connection with its merger with Valley National Bancorp (NYSE: VLY).
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2017-2019)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee
- Member, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- Member, Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Wills for Heroes, Prepare wills and power of attorney documents on pro bono basis
- Recipient, Highest Performance Award in Taxation 2, University of Wisconsin Law School
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- Novermber 6-8, 2019 – Speaker (Amelia Island, FL)
Articles & Publications
- September 24, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 24, 2019
- April 3, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 14, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- December 28, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 2, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 4, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination CycleDecember 20, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- November 29, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 19, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 2, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- August 11, 2015
- September 3, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 14, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 1, 2019 – Markets Insider Press Release
- February 1, 2019 – St. Louis Business Journal Press Release
- January 24, 2019
- January 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- July 26, 2018 – Peoples Bank Press Release
- May 17, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 1, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- April 2, 2018 – Globe Newswire
- March 16, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 28, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 9, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- October 2, 2017 – Globe Newswire
- August 8, 2017
- July 27, 2017
- July 21, 2017
- January 26, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- December 1, 2016
- July 2016
- July 2016
- June 13, 2016
- April 15, 2016
- December 4, 2015
- December 3, 2015
- November 12, 2015
- Alerus Financial Expands Service Offerings with Acquisition of Alliance Benefit Group North Central States, Inc.October 22, 2015
- September 28, 2015
- February 18, 2015
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Masters of Accountancy, 2008
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Business Administration in Accounting, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Wisconsin