As co-chair of the Firm’s Real Estate Group, Suzanne concentrates her practice on commercial real estate and related corporate, securities, and business planning matters. Her practice includes a particular emphasis on publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs). She also has significant experience in (a) the formation of joint ventures that combine developers and other real estate professionals with institutional financial partners, (b) acquisition, disposition, and financing of franchised hotels and (c) acquisition, disposition, and financing of long-term ground leased properties. Additionally, Suzanne’s practice includes experience with Shari’ah-compliant financings, multi-jurisdictional portfolio acquisitions and financings, tax-deferred exchanges, leasing, acquisitions, and dispositions.
In 2019, Chambers USA recognized the Real Estate Group in Band 1 for the 12th consecutive year, noting – “Never worry about their ability to grasp the essentials of a deal and define the risks. They take a real business perspective.” Suzanne has been individually recognized as a top Illinois real estate lawyer by both Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America© for more than a decade.
Acquisition and financing of franchised hotels throughout the U.S.
Acquisition, via sale, leaseback, and financing, of the international corporate headquarters of a Fortune 100 company.
Acquisition and financing of numerous office properties, throughout the U.S.
Financings of various properties (office and hotels) where the form of each is similar to a “credit tenant lease” loan and is made by institutional investors that fund each loan through their purchase of rated certificates.
Single asset, single borrower securitized loan and mezzanine loan involving a portfolio of approximately 25 hotels.
Acquisition and financing of central business district office buildings in Chicago, Charlotte, Nashville, Columbus (Ohio) and Tampa, including, in one instance, the assumption of an ongoing construction project and TIF financing.
Financing of multiple “credit tenant” leases with loans made by institutional investors that fund the loans through the purchase of rated certificates.
Sales of leasehold estates (in several central business districts) subject to long-term ground leases, where estates are improved with office buildings.
Acquisition, financing and redevelopment of distressed commercial properties, including a portfolio of REO industrial/office/distribution properties in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Negotiation of numerous joint venture relationships, together with the acquisition and financing of properties by those joint ventures, some of which acquisitions involved Shari’ah-compliant financing.
Coordination and acquisition of an assemblage of 12 contiguous parcels in California for redevelopment for industrial purposes.
Negotiation of numerous single tenant sale and leaseback transactions.
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America© (2008-2020)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2007-2019)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2019)
- Top Ten Women: Real Estate (2015-2016)
- Real Estate Law: Commercial
- Real Estate Law: Finance
- Top 100 Women Business Lawyers, Women's Edition (2012)
- Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2008-2019)
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Instructor, Advanced Real Estate Transactions, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (2001-2008)
- November 1, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 9, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- February 27, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 24, 2019
- November 1, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 15, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP as Top Illinois Law Firm for 11th Consecutive YearMay 16, 2018
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 1, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 25, 2017 – Press Release
- August 15, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- April 5, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- September 1, 2016 – Law360
- August 15, 2016
- June 2016
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Partners Named 2016 Top Ten Real Estate Lawyers in IllinoisMarch 2016
- January 11, 2016
- November 2, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- May 2015
- March 17, 2015
- January 2015
- January 14, 2015 – Super Lawyers
- November 3, 2014
- August 20, 2014
- June 11, 2014
- November 2013
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive YearJune 10, 2013
- August 2012
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 2012June 12, 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- June 2011
- April 2011
- January 2011
- July 2010
- January 2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm again by 2009 Chambers USAJuly 2009 – Chambers USA
- February 2009
- July 2008 – Chambers USA