As co-chair of the Firm’s Real Estate Group, Suzanne concentrates her practice on commercial real estate and related corporate, securities and business planning matters. Her practice includes a particular emphasis on publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs). She also has significant experience in both (a) the formation of joint ventures that combine developers and other real estate professionals with institutional financial partners and (b) commercial development, including build-to-suit projects and related financing activities. Additionally, Suzanne’s practice includes experience with the hospitality industry, Shari’ah-compliant financings, multi-jurisdictional portfolio financings, tax-deferred exchanges, leasing, acquisitions and dispositions. Suzanne also is a member of the boards of several not-for-profit organizations and works with those organizations on a pro bono basis.
In 2018, Chambers USA recognized the Real Estate Group in Band 1 for the 11th consecutive year, noting – “Never worry about their ability to grasp the essentials of a deal and define the risks. They take a real business perspective.” Suzanne has been individually recognized as a top Illinois real estate lawyer by both Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America for more than a decade.
Acquisition and financing of central business district office buildings in Chicago, Charlotte, Nashville and Columbus (Ohio), including, in one instance, the assumption of an ongoing construction project and TIF financing.
Financing of multiple “credit tenant” leases with loans made by institutional investors that fund the loans through the purchase of rated certificates.
Acquisition, financing and redevelopment of distressed commercial properties, include a portfolio of REO industrial/office/distribution properties in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Negotiation of $100,000,000 revolving credit facility.
Restructuring of TIC ownership of Midwestern medical office building and refinancing of that property.
Negotiation of company’s primary revolving credit facility.
Coordination and acquisition of an assemblage of 12 contiguous parcels in California for redevelopment for industrial purposes.
Negotiation of numerous single tenant sale and leaseback transactions.
Negotiation of single tenant, 15 year, triple net lease for 692,000 square foot project.
Negotiation of numerous joint venture relationships, together with the acquisition and financing of properties by those joint ventures, some of which acquisitions involved Shari’ah-compliant financing.
Development of lease for utilization in solar leasing project.
Acquisition and development of Northeastern site.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Selected, Real Estate Law, Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2018)
- Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2008-2018)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2007-2018)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2016)
- Top Ten Women: Real Estate (2015-2016)
- Real Estate Law: Commercial
- Real Estate Law: Finance
- Top 100 Women Business Lawyers, Women's Edition (2012)
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Instructor, Advanced Real Estate Transactions, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (2001-2008)
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP as Top Illinois Law Firm for 11th Consecutive YearMay 16, 2018
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 1, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 25, 2017 – Press Release
- August 15, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- April 5, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- September 1, 2016 – Law360
- August 15, 2016
- June 2016
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Partners Named 2016 Top Ten Real Estate Lawyers in IllinoisMarch 2016
- January 11, 2016
- November 2, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- May 2015
- March 17, 2015
- January 2015
- January 14, 2015 – Super Lawyers
- November 3, 2014
- August 20, 2014
- June 11, 2014
- November 2013
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive YearJune 10, 2013
- August 2012
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 2012June 12, 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- June 2011
- April 2011
- January 2011
- July 2010
- January 2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm again by 2009 Chambers USAJuly 2009 – Chambers USA
- February 2009
- July 2008 – Chambers USA