Jessica Heckinger Nowak represents clients in all types of litigation. She has experience practicing in federal court, state courts, appellate courts, and arbitration hearings litigating a wide variety of matters including: licensing disputes, actions seeking to enforce restrictive employment covenants, trade secrets disputes, breach of contract disputes, defending actions for breaches of fiduciary duties, intellectual property and trademark disputes, securities litigation, litigation related to real estate transactions, and employment disputes. Her clients have included a large medical device company, real estate developers, banks, an international energy company, a large pharmacy store chain, and various individuals.
- Represented major medical device manufacturer against licensors in multiple concluded and pending arbitrations. These disputes principally have involved challenges to the interpretation of various license agreements.
- Represented eight individuals in an action for alleged breaches of their employment and non-competition agreements, including defending employees in actions for a TRO and preliminary injunction in Howmedica Osteonics Corp. v. Zimmer, Inc., No. 11-cv-1857 (D.N.J.).
- Defended a REIT and individual defendants against multiple claims arising from a failed commercial real estate transaction in EJM Kyrene Property LLC v. KTR Property Trust I et. al., No. 13-cv-02660 (D. Ariz.).
Professional Activities & Honors
- DePaul Law Review
- University of Illinois Bronze Tablet
Charitable & Community Organizations
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Associate Board (2010-Present; Co-Chair of Bearcat Ball Planning Committee, 2011)
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2006
University of Illinois, B.S., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit