Jessica Heckinger Nowak has more than a decade of experience representing clients - ranging from some of the world’s largest corporations to privately held companies and individuals - in their most important litigation disputes. Jessica has practiced in federal court, state courts, appellate courts, and arbitration hearings litigating a wide variety of matters including: licensing disputes, actions seeking to enforce restrictive employment covenants, trade secrets disputes, breach of contract disputes, defending actions for breaches of fiduciary duties, intellectual property and trademark disputes, patent disputes, securities litigation, litigation related to real estate transactions, litigation related to medical device product liability and employment disputes. In each matter, Jessica works collaboratively with her clients to develop a deep understanding of their needs, goals and operations so as to maximize her ability to effectively and efficiently represent them, while striving to minimize interruption of their businesses.
- Counsel for Medical Device Company
Served for more than 10 years as counsel to one of the world's largest medical device companies, advising and representing them in a wide range of disputes, including royalty licensing disputes; medical device product liability litigation; breach of contract litigation; restrictive covenant litigation; litigation arising from various other commercial disputes; and licensing agreement disputes. Most recent representation in royalty licensing disputes wherein the Plaintiffs sought nine figures in royalties. The matters involved complex contract and intellectual property issues. They proceeded to multi-week arbitrations, where the client prevailed on all counts.
- Howmedica Osteonics Corp. v. Zimmer, Inc., No. 11-cv-1857 (D.N.J.)
Represented eight individuals in an action for alleged breaches of their employment and non-competition agreements, including defending employees in actions for a TRO and preliminary injunction.
- EJM Kyrene Property LLC v. KTR Property Trust I et. al., No. 13-cv-02660 (D. Ariz.)
Defended a REIT and individual defendants against multiple claims arising from a failed commercial real estate transaction in
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, 40 & Under Hot List, Benchmark Litigation (2018)
- DePaul Law Review
- University of Illinois Bronze Tablet
Charitable & Community Organizations
- Associate Board, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (2010-Present)
- Co-Chair, Bearcat Ball Planning Committee (2011)
- July 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- Barack Ferrazzano Congratulates Partners Nicholas Callahan, Joshua Mahoney & Jessica Heckinger NowakJanuary 2017
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2006
University of Illinois, B.S., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit