Jessica Heckinger Nowak represents clients in all types of litigation. She has experience practicing in federal court, state courts, appellate courts, and arbitration hearings litigating a wide variety of matters including: licensing disputes, actions seeking to enforce restrictive employment covenants, trade secrets disputes, breach of contract disputes, defending actions for breaches of fiduciary duties, intellectual property and trademark disputes, securities litigation, litigation related to real estate transactions, and employment disputes.
- For more than 10 years served as counsel to one of the world's largest medical device companies in a wide range of disputes, including product liability litigation; breach of contract litigation; restrictive covenant litigation; litigation arising from various other commercial disputes; and licensing agreement disputes. Most recent representation in royalty licensing disputes wherein the Plantiffs sought nine figures in royalties. The matters involved complex contract and intellectual property issues. They proceeded to multi-week arbitrations, where the client prevailed on all counts.
- Represented eight individuals in an action for alleged breaches of their employment and non-competition agreements, including defending employees in actions for a TRO and preliminary injunction in Howmedica Osteonics Corp. v. Zimmer, Inc., No. 11-cv-1857 (D.N.J.).
- Defended a REIT and individual defendants against multiple claims arising from a failed commercial real estate transaction in EJM Kyrene Property LLC v. KTR Property Trust I et. al., No. 13-cv-02660 (D. Ariz.).
Professional & Community Activities
- DePaul Law Review
- University of Illinois Bronze Tablet
Charitable & Community Organizations
- Associate Board, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (2010-Present)
- Co-Chair, Bearcat Ball Planning Committee (2011)
- July 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- Barack Ferrazzano Congratulates Partners Nicholas Callahan, Joshua Mahoney & Jessica Heckinger NowakJanuary 2017
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2006
University of Illinois, B.S., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit