Owen is a partner in the Firm’s Commercial Litigation, Financial Institutions Litigation and Motor Vehicle Groups.
Owen represents clients in complex litigation matters, including antitrust defense, securities litigation, bank regulatory and other financial-related matters, civil RICO and conspiracy actions, and actions involving fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty claims. Owen represents clients in a wide range of industries, including banking and financial services, automotive manufacturing, distribution, and franchising, and consumer products.
Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, Owen was an attorney with a large international law firm in New York, where his practice focused on securities litigation, antitrust counseling and defense, and general contract disputes.
- Representation of luxury automotive manufacturer and distributor in antitrust litigation involving alleged violations of the Robinson-Patman Act and state antitrust laws.
- Representation of a “Big Six” book publisher in civil antitrust investigations by federal and state authorities relating to competition and pricing in the e-book market.
- Representation of a luxury furniture manufacturer in civil antitrust investigations by state authorities relating to “resale price maintenance.”
- Defense of investment bank against claims for conversion, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty relating to securities repurchase (repo) transactions.
- Defense of various financial institutions in securities class actions and direct actions, including issuers, underwriters, and others alleged to have made fraudulent and/or negligent misrepresentations or omissions in connection with the issuance and sale of equity securities, corporate bonds, mortgage-backed securities, and limited partnership units.
- Defense of an international bank against claims relating to the bank’s right to charge-back client accounts.
- Defense of large commercial real estate developer against claims relating to dissolution of a partnership and a joint venture.
- Representation of national retail pharmacy corporation in breach of contract and breach of warranty claims arising from its acquisition of a medical services company.
- Representation of automotive manufacturer and distributor in connection with class action litigation involving diesel emissions issues.
- Representation of luxury automotive manufacturer and distributor in multi-jurisdiction litigation involving rights of first refusal over asset and real estate sales transactions.
- Defense of foreign and domestic automobile manufacturers in litigation relating to dealer terminations and the realignment of dealer territories.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Law Clerk, Hon. Richard Conway Casey, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2006-2007
Articles & Publications
- "Getting the Deal Through - Vertical Agreements 2011,"March 2011 – Global Competition Review
- "On Life Support for Leeginaire's Disease: Can the States Resuscitate Dr. Miles?"Summer 2008 – Antitrust, an ABA publication
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2005
Washington University in St. Louis, B.A., magna cum laude, 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 3rd Circuit