Mark concentrates his practice in commercial real estate and related corporate, securities, tax and business planning matters, including investment fund formation and the acquisition of distressed mortgage debt. His practice emphasizes acquisitions and dispositions, commercial development, secured financing, joint ventures and tax deferred transactions. His practice places particular emphasis on complicated commercial acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures for publicly traded real estate investment trusts and private equity funds.
As an M.B.A. and former banker, Mark focuses on providing practical, business-oriented solutions and strategic direction to sophisticated national clients. He also works extensively with the design and structuring of complicated, tax-sensitive commercial transactions for public and start-up companies. Mark's comprehensive experience has been recognized by both his colleagues and his clients alike; Chambers USA 2011 reported that clients cite his "great rapport, technical knowledge and ability to discuss complex legal situations in a commercially appropriate way."
Serve as primary outside counsel to DCT in connection with real estate acquisitions and dispositions, amendment and renegotiation of various joint ventures, forward commitment transactions, and leasing transactions.
Serve as primary national real estate counsel for KTR Capital Partners (as discretionary private equity fund), KIF Property Trust (a private real estate investment trust) and KTR Property Trust I (a private real estate investment trust), for leasing, joint ventures, financings, acquisitions and dispositions, including the following projects: acquisition of a multi-state portfolio of assets with debt assumption, negotiation of build-to-suit lease with public client, data center leasing, and multiple other leasing and acquisition transactions.
Acted as primary counsel in the negotiation and documentation of loan facilities and debt assumptions on behalf of a private real estate fund as well as providing regular advice and counsel for investment and operational activities.
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America© (2016-2019)
- Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2011-2019)
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- May 9, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 1, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 15, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP as Top Illinois Law Firm for 11th Consecutive YearMay 16, 2018
- November 1, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 15, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- June 2016
- November 2, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- May 21, 2015
- June 11, 2014
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive YearJune 10, 2013
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 2012June 12, 2012
- June 2011
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1994
J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, M.M., 1994
Cornell University, A.B., with distinction, 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- DCT Industrial Trust
- Realco Capital Partners
- Seagis Property Group
- Sitex Group