Jack Snyder is a partner in the Firm's Litigation and Motor Vehicle Groups.
Jack is a trial lawyer, regulatory counselor, strategic advisor and dealmaker. Jack has emerged as a leader for many of our clients and key project teams. In addition to running several pieces of substantial litigation (among other active cases) for our clients, Jack has also led a team of ten attorneys on a nationwide program for a major client.
Strategic Advice, Regulatory Counseling, and Performance/Cure Programs
Jack also negotiates and advises on dealer-manufacturer and regulatory disputes in the automotive franchise space across the country, and is a regular source of strategic advice and regulatory counseling for automotive clients and clients in other industries. Jack’s work includes:
- Developing and implementing dealer performance improvement and “cure” programs to address under-performing dealers;
- Assessing risks for national manufacturers and distributors when considering changes to their network plan;
- Designing and advising on incentive programs, performance standards, and network development plans; and
- Working with state and local regulators to facilitate solutions to licensing and permitting disputes.
- Highlight – Dealer Performance Improvement and Cure Programs. Jack is an experienced manager and developer of dealer performance improvement and cure programs. Jack understands that the keys to a successful program are: understanding the client’s business objectives (whether based on sales performance standards or other metrics, facility or image standards, or dealer operational inputs or goals, to name some examples); developing correspondence, tracking systems and other robust tools that are sufficiently uniform to ensure fairness to dealers across an entire network while at the same time flexible enough to fit a dealer-by-dealer strategy; and building systems that are straightforward enough that they can be implemented by business personnel consistently across a state, regional or national network.
- Highlight – Licensing Disputes. In a key case for an automotive client, state regulators sought to impose sanctions on the company and several personnel for conducting business in the state without a license. Jack negotiated with the regulators on the company’s behalf, obtaining a dismissal of the citation.
While focusing on manufacturer-dealer disputes, Jack has a broad range of experience across the Firm’s practice areas. Having started at the Firm after a high-stakes career in the government where he handled Senate confirmations, legislation, and Congressional inquiries for the Department of Homeland Security, Jack hit the ground running as a key member of our litigation practice. As a first-year associate, Jack won his first dispositive motion, arguing before a Chancery judge in the Circuit Court of Cook County. Thereafter, Jack has gained experience trying cases both in court and in an administrative setting, defending witnesses giving testimony in white-collar investigations, and managing cases from pre-litigation counseling through appeal.
- Highlight – Termination Litigation. Jack has handled several dealer termination matters, including in circumstances where dealers have ceased to operate or have otherwise encountered serious financial difficulties. In one recent case, a California dealer protested a notice of termination, despite having failed to operate for weeks. Seeking to resolve the matter before a costly evidentiary hearing, Jack successfully argued a motion to dismiss, obtaining a recommendation from the administrative law judge that the New Motor Vehicle Board dismiss the matter.
- Highlight – Establishment (Add-Point) Litigation. Jack has also handled several add-point cases. In one recent case, Jack was a key member of a trial team in a major case pending in state court in New York. In a bench trial, Jack cross-examined the other side’s damages expert. The judge would go on to reject the expert’s testimony in deciding the case in favor of our client.
- Highlight – Incentives Litigation. In a recent incentives case in federal court between an automotive client and one of its dealers, Jack deposed the dealer principal, chief financial officer, and damages expert. On the strength of the record that Jack and our team developed, the court granted summary judgment to our client on several claims.
Jack has handled a substantial number of transactions in the automotive industry, representing manufacturers in working out business solutions with their dealers. Jack’s work has facilitated the amicable and voluntary termination of dealerships and the clearing of protest rights so that the manufacturer can establish a new dealer and/or realign its local dealer network. Jack has also represented manufacturers in working out approvals for, and rejections of, franchise transfer (dealership buy/sell) agreements. In this work, Jack has served as both lead negotiator and deal architect, designing transaction structures to solve novel problems in a heavily-regulated field subject to a fifty-state patchwork of rules.
Education, Prior Experience, and Community Involvement
Jack received his B.A. from Yale University. He joined Barack Ferrazzano after graduating, with honors, from the University of Chicago Law School in 2010.
Prior to attending law school Jack worked for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Office of Legislative Affairs where he advised senior departmental officials on legislative and communications strategy and the Senate confirmation process. While serving at the Department, he received the Secretary’s Award for Exemplary Service.
Jack is also involved in community affairs in his hometown of Winnetka, Illinois. Jack serves as the Vice Chair of the Winnetka Caucus Council, a non-profit community organization devoted to citizen participation in local government.
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, 40 & Under Hot List, Benchmark Litigation (2018)
- Member, The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- September 19-22, 2018 – Speaker (New Orleans, LA)
Articles & Publications
- April 17, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 4, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- December 6, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- September 30, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- February 24, 2015
- July 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 11, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
University of Chicago, J.D., with honors, 2010
Yale University, B.A., 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Indiana