Matt’s practice transcends litigation and transactions. In the course of counseling dozens of motor vehicle, manufacturing, and financial clients, he has served not only as a trial attorney, but also a regulatory advisor, transactional-dealmaker, and strategic counselor. At the onset of engagement, Matt asks the question: “Where do you want to end up?” His client’s answer allows him to formulate and implement a tailor-made strategy that furthers the client’s objectives and protects its interests.
Matt has counseled and defended a broad spectrum of clients that include motor vehicle manufacturers, manufacturing corporations, and financial institutions. His successes in defense of those clients include:
- Trial attorney for a motor vehicle manufacturer in a state agency action in which an existing dealer protested Matt's client's decision to terminate its dealer agreement. After a trial, the state agency approved the termination, allowing Matt’s client to terminate and appoint a new dealer;
- Trial attorney for a motor vehicle manufacturer in a state agency hearing in which existing dealer protested Matt's client's proposed action to appoint an additional dealer in the same market as the existing dealer. After a multi-day trial, the state agency approved Matt’s client’s proposed action, allowing it to appoint an additional dealer in the market;
- Trial attorney for a demolition/construction company in dispute with state tax authorities regarding improper tax assessments. After a multi-day trial, the court ruled in favor of Matt’s client on all issues, and ordered the refund to his client of all taxes improperly assessed and collected; and
- Lead attorney in successfully obtaining dismissal of a financial institution defendant from class action involving allegations of consumer fraud and violations of Illinois mortgage law. Matt also successfully defended the dismissal on appeal.
Transactional & Litigation - Warranty/Audit
A key component of a manufacturer’s business is its warranty, including the warranty terms, compensation paid to its warranty work providers, audits associated with warranty work (and potential chargebacks of warranty claims inappropriately submitted and paid), and the manufacturer’s interactions with customers seeking warranty service. Matt has counseled and assisted his clients with these issues, including:
- Drafting warranties employed by several manufacturers nationwide;
- Defending manufacturers in warranty-related litigation, including those involving claims of breach of express and implied warranty, lemon law, Magnuson-Moss, and consumer fraud;
- Counseling regarding federal and state warranty regulations, including those concerning warranty work compensation rates and structures; and
- Advising, defending, and resolving audit and chargeback disputes, including chargebacks due to instances of fraud, falsification of records, and failure to follow company policy.
Professional & Community Activities
- Selected, Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2014-2018)
- Member, Rush University Medical Center Associates Board (2014-2018)
- Senior Managing Editor, Indiana Law Journal
- Moot Court Board
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 17, 2017
- April 4, 2016
- January 11, 2016
- January 1, 2016
- January 14, 2015 – Super Lawyers
- August 19, 2014