Peter is the senior partner and a founder of Barack Ferrazzano. He practices in the area of corporate and securities law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and financial planning matters. He regularly represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, strategic business planning and other sorts of corporate counseling. In addition, he advises a variety of large public companies, including many foreign companies in their American business activities.
As examples of the diverse nature of his practice activities, Peter has represented a large French public company in its $3.2 billion acquisition of a 62.5 percent interest in an international retailer, another large French company in the merger of its business travel services subsidiary with an American business travel company to form an international company with over $8 billion in annual turnover, the controlling family in a merger of its publicly held sporting goods company into a large privately held sporting goods company and its subsequent listing on the NASDAQ national market system, and a public company in its $350 million acquisition by way of a tender offer and merger into a private equity fund.
Peter began his career as an Assistant Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School and an Associate Professor of Law at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. He has continued his academic affiliations by serving as an Adjunct Professor of Corporate Law and the holder of the Edward Avery Harriman Lectureship at Northwestern Law School, where he teaches Business Planning, Corporate Finance, and Securities Regulation. He also is an Adjunct Professor in Finance at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management where he teaches Mergers and Acquisitions. He also teaches Mergers and Acquisitions in various mid-career Executive Programs at the Kellogg School of Management.
Peter is the author of numerous articles on corporate and securities matters, a speaker on corporate law subjects, and a member of various corporate law committees, including the Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute and the Corporate Counsel Institute for which he served as Planning Director for many years.
The Firm has a longstanding relationship with LVMH, an iconic luxury goods and services conglomerate with 60+ brands, serving as outside counsel for its corporate and real estate transactions, as well as intellectual property and litigation matters around the world, and providing strategic legal counsel in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, brand management, employment agreements, and endorsement agreements.
Represented Fendi in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Taramax SA, its watch licensee, and entry into long term license agreement.
Representation of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton in its acquisition of a UK company that owns Hotel Saint-Barth Isle de France, a 5-star hotel located on the Caribbean Island of St. Barthémy. The acquisition involved complex holding structures that required extensive tax planning and negotiations with minority shareholders.
Representation of Football Fanatics in connection with its recapitalization and sale of Series A Preferred Shares to a well-known private equity firm.
Representation of Kendo Holdings, Inc., a cosmetics and beauty incubator company owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and affiliated with Sephora, in strategic transactions related to the formation and launch of the brand Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
Representation of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) in strategic corporate and intellectual property transactions related to the formation and launch of Fenty by Rihanna, a new luxury fashion maison of ready-to-wear clothing, shoes, and accessories. The historic collaboration will make Rihanna the first woman to create an original LVMH brand, and Fenty the first LVMH-established fashion house in more than 30 years (Announced: May 2019).
Activities & Honors
- Selected, Corporate Law, The Best Lawyers in America© (2015-2020)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2007-2020)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2020)
- Recipient, Lt. John A. Larkin, Jr. Memorial Prize
- Recipient, Nuffield College Fellowship
- Recipient, Princeton Prize Fellowship
- Marshall Scholar
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Editorial Board, Harvard Law Review
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
Articles & Publications
- March 31, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 2009 – Leading Lawyers Network Magazine
- January 29, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 1, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 14, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 24, 2019
- November 1, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 15, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 25, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 1, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 1, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- July 27, 2017 – Above the Law
- July 13, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 17, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- December 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- July 2016
- January 11, 2016
- January 5, 2016
- November 2, 2015
- October 2015 – Marketplace
- August 18, 2015
- January 14, 2015 – Super Lawyers
- December 2014 – Lawyer Monthly
- November 3, 2014
- November 3, 2014
- August 20, 2014
- January 2012
- April 2011
- January 2011
- July 2010
- January 2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- February 2009
Harvard University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1970
Oxford University, B.Phil. (Lincoln College-1966) (Nuffield College-1967)
Princeton University, A.B., summa cum laude, 1965
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Christian Dior
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton