Bill is a diligent and dedicated advocate for his clients in a broad variety of commercial real estate transactions who takes pride in finding solutions to transactional challenges that others might have missed. He uses his knowledge and nearly 20 years of experience to assiduously protect his clients’ interests, while being sure to advance their practical objectives.
Bill concentrates his practice on commercial real estate. He has experience on a broad range of real estate matters involving commercial properties throughout the U.S., focusing primarily on real estate financing. He has represented institutional lenders, REITs, and public companies on mortgage loans, construction loans, portfolio financings, loan work-outs, foreclosures, joint ventures, leasing, and acquisitions and dispositions.
Bill has experience working on a variety of property types, including shopping centers and regional shopping malls, Class A commercial office buildings, industrial warehouses and distribution centers, condominiums, assisted living facilities, hospitals, and medical office buildings.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- University of Puget Sound, B.A., with honors, 1993
Served as outside counsel to a variety of both borrowers and lenders in mortgage loans, construction loans, mezzanine loans, and portfolio financings for commercial office buildings, shopping centers, regional shopping malls, industrial warehouses and distribution centers, condominiums and assisted living facilities throughout the U.S. representing an aggregate indebtedness of billions of dollars. Representative projects include:
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in obtaining CMBS loans originated by major institutional lenders for multiple refinancing transactions for shopping malls throughout the country ranging from $200 million to almost $1 billion.
- Represented a global real estate investment, operating and development company based in Canada in obtaining (i) a $77 million term loan to refinance a Walmart distribution center located in Pennsylvania and (ii) a $520 million portfolio loan to finance the construction and leasing of Amazon distribution centers located in California, Indiana, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin.
- Represented a joint venture with international sponsors in a $250 million loan to refinance and further develop a high-end luxury shopping district in Miami.
- Represented a joint venture sponsored by an investment management firm with $2 trillion in assets under management in obtaining a $101.5 million construction loan for the construction and leasing of an Amazon distribution center in California.
- Represented a joint venture sponsored by a Denver-based healthcare real estate development firm in obtaining a $174.6 million portfolio loan from a private equity lender to refinance a portfolio of 6 assisted living facilities each located in Florida.
- Represented a private investor from the European Union in a $160 million mortgage and mezzanine financing of a luxury retail asset located on Rodeo Drive.
- Represented an Illinois bank in providing up to $75 million in revolving residential lot banking loans to a developer for single family housing development projects in New Jersey and Nevada.
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in the workout and settlement of $433.75 million in CMBS loans encumbering shopping malls and shopping centers in Connecticut, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.
- Editor, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology (2002-2003)
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Morton Denlow, U.S. Magistrate Judge, Northern District of Illinois (2002)
- Member, American Bar Association