Stan provides strategic counsel to banks on regulatory and compliance issues, Banking-as-a-Service (BaaS), digital assets, general banking corporate matters, novel lending issues, distressed loans and assets, failed bank receiverships, and fintech agreements and partnerships. Clients rely on his unique perspective to navigate today’s complex regulatory environment and in implementing new relationships, technology, products, and services.
Stan advises banks on offering BaaS and partnering with fintechs from initial bank strategy discussions with the board and senior management, through partner identification, due diligence, contract negotiation, regulatory approval, implementation, and exit strategy. He has advised on launching multiple BaaS programs for banks across the country and has helped them curate and grow their BaaS offerings, including, credit, debit and prepaid cards, payment processing, real-time and faster payments services, commercial and consumer loans, and investment products. Stan has also guided banks on standing up their BaaS programs and starting relationships from early stage to mature fintechs.
Stan helps private equity, venture, and traditional clients understand and evaluate the discrete issues unique to regulated financial institutions. He specializes in evaluating licensed, regulated targets, including state and national banks, trust companies (including special purpose and non-depository trusts), payments companies (including payment facilitators, payment processors, and ISOs), lenders (both consumer and commercial), loan servicers and debt collectors, and money transmitters.
Stan regularly advises banks and bank holding companies nationwide on bank and bank holding company regulatory issues on a variety of matters, on both customer-facing and bank regulator-facing issues, drawing from his prior experience at the FDIC. He also has experience in bank holding company matters, including bank holding company bankruptcy reorganizations.
Stan's background includes experience as a counsel with the FDIC, sitting on the board of a financial institution, and representing banks in private practice. Additionally, Stan’s substantial experience in representing secured creditors, creditors’ committees and debtors in significant Chapter 11 cases, receiverships, assignments for the benefits of creditors, and other out-of-court liquidations helps banks deal with special situations. Stan also gained practical experience as a prosecutor and a defense attorney with the United States Navy Judge Advocate Corps.
- State of Illinois
- Law Society of England and Wales
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- U.S. Department of Defense - Trial Judiciary
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- University of Illinois Chicago, M.B.A., 2014
- Boston College, B.A., 1995
- Advise numerous banks in offering BaaS and starting BaaS programs.
- Perform fintech regulatory due diligence on behalf of banks.
- Negotiate and draft dozens of BaaS agreements on behalf of banks for various fintech programs.
- Counsel banks on BaaS regulatory issues and enforcement matters.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Pendulum, a strategic growth investing and advisory platform designed for founders and leaders of color, in a deal that raised $45 million in funding for Greenwood, Inc., the digital banking platform for Black and Latino individuals and businesses.
- Change of control regulatory counsel for a multi-billion dollar asset trust company.
- Regulatory counsel for the acquisition of a consumer goods lender.
- Sale of a bank with a niche lending concentration and comprehensive BaaS program to a non-bank purchaser.
- Advise bank in connection with acquisition of fintech.
Bank Lending & Distressed Loans
- Representing a bank in connection with one of the largest (over $100 million) check kiting schemes in the U.S. in a complicated, multi-jurisdictional bankruptcy case.
- Advising banks on the sale and purchase of multiple loan portfolios, from residential mortgages, to CRE and interests in participation and syndicated loans.
- Assisting banks with cannabis-related lending issues.
- Guiding banks in commercial loan workouts on matters with special collateral issues and helping them to obtain the best results in special situations.
- September 23-25, 2021
- July 21-23, 2020
- September 9-10, 2019
- Regulatory Tumult, Talent, and Technology – Community Bank Observations with Stan Orszula
- The Keys to Banking Law: A Handbook for Lawyers, Second Edition
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Super Lawyer (2014-2020)
- Rising Star (2009-2010)
- STAR Award, FDIC (2010-2011)
- Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal, United States Armed Forces
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal, United States Armed Forces
- National Defense Service Medal, United States Armed Forces
- Director, Chicago Lawyers Rugby Football Club (2014-2021)
- Member, National Eagle Scout Association