Bob focuses his practice on bankruptcy and litigation, serving clients that include privately held businesses, large financial institutions, and individual entrepreneurs. In his long career, he has won acclaim for his sharp analyses, deft communication skills, and ability to understand and fight effectively for his clients.
Bob's practice is wide-ranging, representing, on the bankruptcy side, both debtors and creditors as well as creditors' committees. In one significant case, he helped a bank recover substantial assets from a bankrupt estate over the objections of the unsecured creditors. In another, he successfully reorganized a forklift company over the opposition of seven different lenders, each claiming an interest in the same collateral. He also helped a bank recover significant sums from an insurance company which had insured the bank against loss from forgery. Bob's financial services experience includes work on behalf of banks, debt collectors, mortgage companies and other financial institutions.
Bob's litigation practice also includes representing clients in business disputes, including fraud and contract claims, as well as employment litigation. He has argued matters before the Seventh Circuit and Illinois Supreme Court, among others.
Bob regularly speaks on legal topics, most recently concerning the bankruptcy implications of real estate foreclosure and the impact of the revisions to the Bankruptcy Code.
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1983
- University of Michigan, B.A., magna cum laude, 1972
- University of Chicago, A.M., 1973
- Represented several bank clients as secured creditors in middle market bankruptcy matters.
- Litigated many cases concerning denial of bankruptcy discharge.
- Counseled middle market companies on ways to make their businesses less vulnerable to bankruptcy of customers.
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-2006, 2009-2020)
- Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2023)
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2018)
- City of Chicago Volunteer Chair, and Ombudsman, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
- Mentor, Evanston Scholars
- Phi Beta Kappa