Mike is a trial lawyer engaged in all aspects of commercial dispute resolution and strategic counseling. Mike counsels his clients to achieve their strategic objectives through tailor-made strategies while always remaining prepared to try cases to verdict.
Mike has substantial trial experience across various legal areas and industries. He is most frequently called upon to handle disputes involving complex damages cases and business valuations. As part of that practice, Mike has regularly worked with leading experts in a wide range of fields to advance his clients’ interests, including corporate finance, forensic accounting, economics, valuation, and transfer pricing.
In light of his focus on complex damages and valuation disputes, Mike has a unique skillset that enables him to effectively and efficiently represent clients in a wide range of disciplines, including commercial litigation, intellectual property disputes, and tax controversy matters. He also has advised on a substantial number of transactions to avoid litigation altogether, including creditors in out-of-court workouts and private and publicly-held clients in numerous strategic transactions and out-of-court settlements. Mike has served as both a lead negotiator and deal architect for such arrangements, developing creative transaction frameworks to solve novel problems in highly regulated fields.
Pro bono work has been an integral component of Mike’s practice. He has represented individuals in immigration, taxation, special education, and family law matters. He also aided a pro bono client in achieving asylum in the U.S., based on persuasive and detailed briefing that was specifically commended by the judge. Mike’s work on this case resulted in a “Rising Star” recognition by the National Immigrant Justice Center in 2019.
- State of Illinois
- State of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2014
- Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2011
Mike has served clients of all sizes, from multinational manufacturers to small privately held businesses, across many industries, including those of the types listed below. The majority of Mike’s cases involve highly intricate damages disputes or factually intensive business valuations.
- Defense counsel for distributors in wrongful termination cases regarding the discontinuation of a motor vehicle line-make, where the trial court dismissed the lawsuits on the pleadings and on summary judgment in clients’ favor.
- Defense counsel for distributor in dispute over changes to sales territories. Obtained a finding of good cause in client’s favor after trial, and secured dismissal of entire lawsuit on appeal to the appellate court.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for landlord in lease dispute involving multi-million-dollar commercial property. Case resolved favorably for client.
- Defense counsel for distributor in litigation involving a large, multi-faceted dealership asset and real estate buy-sell transaction. Obtained a preliminary injunction preserving client’s right of first refusal and won summary judgment on the buyer’s tortious interference claims.
- Defense counsel in patent litigation asserted against client’s products by a non-practicing entity that ultimately agreed to settle the case by filing a stipulation of non-infringement, requiring no payments by client, and agreeing to a full covenant not to sue.
- Defense counsel in patent litigation asserted against client’s software by a non-practicing entity that ultimately agreed to settle the case by filing a dismissal.
- Defense counsel in a high-profile competitor false advertising dispute arising out of the 2019 Super Bowl. Client obtained reversal of preliminary injunction by the Seventh Circuit.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for client asserting infringement of two related patents and trade secret misappropriation against competitor. Case resolved favorably for client.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for client asserting trade secret misappropriation against competitor. Case resolved favorably for client.
- Defense counsel for employees accused of trade secret misappropriation. Case resolved favorably for clients.
- Advised on transfer pricing documentation and structuring, particularly relating to intellectual property as well as soft intangibles such as going concern value and good will.
- Counsel for taxpayer and numerous affiliates in consolidated disputes regarding IRC § 385 debt-equity characterizations and withholding tax. Case resolved favorably for clients.
- Trial counsel in dispute regarding tax treatment of $1.3 billion of IRC § 1031 like-kind exchange of assets.
- Counsel for taxpayer and numerous affiliates in consolidated IRC § 482 transfer pricing disputes. Case resulted in a rare 100% transfer pricing taxpayer victory.
- Quick-Peek Reviews under Federal Rule of Evidence 502: Advantages and Disadvantages in Discovery and Privilege Disputes
- Transfer Pricing Litigation Round-Up
- Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021-2024)
- 40 & Under List, Benchmark Litigation (2022-2023)
- Rising Stars Award, National Immigrant Justice Center (2019)
- Casper Platt Award, University of Chicago Law School (2014)
- Comments Editor, The Chicago Journal of International Law (2014)
- Associate Board Member, Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund (2020-Present)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association (2017-Present)
- Member, University Club of Chicago (2014-Present)