Megan is skilled at efficiently researching, drafting and/or summarizing complicated tax issues and structures for both tax and non-tax audiences. She is responsive, offers practical solutions in a user-friendly way, and addresses client questions in a succinct yet thoughtful and thorough manner.
Megan is an associate in BFKN’s Tax & Business Planning Group. She has counseled publicly traded corporations, REITs and closely held businesses on a wide array of federal tax matters, including tax aspects of structuring joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, internal restructurings, dispositions, recapitalizations, and other corporate transactions. Megan has specific experience handling acquisition related matters, from structuring, diligence, review of transaction documents and post-closing integration.
In addition, she has experience advising multi-national clients on income and withholding tax issues, including FIRPTA, FATCA and tax treaty analysis. Megan has also advised financial institution clients on a range of S corporation matters, including reviewing trust agreements for shareholder eligibility and advising on inadvertent terminations.
Prior to joining BFKN, Megan regularly performed state tax due diligence reviews for prospective mergers and acquisitions, primarily on behalf of private equity clients at a Big Four accounting firm. In addition, she identified potential tax risks associated with clients’ proposed transactions and post-acquisition action plans.
- State of Illinois
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2015
- Indiana University, B.A., 2010
- Represented LVMH Moët Hennessy in its acquisitions of a majority stake in Off-White LLC, the trademark owner of Virgil Abloh's Off-White brand. LVMH and Virgil Abloh came to an agreement that will give the designer leeway to launch brands and seal partnerships across the full range of the luxury conglomerate's activities, beyond just the fashion division.
- Represented LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its equity investment in Aimé Leon Dore, a New York-based streetwear brand with a cult following.
- Represented LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, aimed at taking minority stakes in emerging, iconic brands, in its equity investment in Gabriela Hearst LLC. Launched by its founder and namesake, Gabriela Hearst, the company is a New-York based luxury ready-to-wear, leather goods, and lifestyle company.
- Represented LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its equity investment in renowned horology authority HODINKEE.
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its acquisition of Joseph Phelps Vineyards, a nearly five-decade-old producer of fine wines from Napa Valley and, more recently, the Sonoma Coast. The deal included 530 acres (215 hectares) of vineyards, including 429 acres (174 hectares) in nine Napa Valley estates and 99 acres (40 hectares) in two estates around the Freestone winery on the Sonoma Coast.
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its partnership with Shawn Jay-Z Carter, pursuant to which Moët Hennessy acquired a 50% stake in the Champagne brand, Armand de Brignac, previously wholly-owned by Jay-Z.
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its acquisition of a minority stake & distribution partnership with WhistlePig Whiskey.
- Represented Bankmanagers Corp. and its wholly owned subsidiary, Park Bank, in its sale to First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: FMBI) valued at approx. $193.8 million.
- Represented PGB Holdings, Inc. in its sale to RBB Bancorp valued at approx. $32.5 million.
- Represented Level One Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: LEVL) and its subsidiary Level One Bank in M&A, IPO, subordinated debt, and other transactions.
- Tax Law, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2024)