Matt has over 15 years of experience representing clients in in a broad range of corporate and private equity transactions. Matt has a unique ability to explain and address complex issues and anticipate the twists and turns of a transaction so he can adequately guide his clients through the legal and business implications.
Matt concentrates his practice on corporate, securities and real estate transactions. He regularly handles strategic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, and capital raising transactions, including representing issuers in public and private offerings and private equity and other sponsors in forming a variety of capital vehicles. Matt also has significant experience in securities law compliance and disclosure matters, including reporting under the Securities Exchange Act (SEC), and corporate formation matters for emerging businesses, including real estate partnerships and platforms. He often serves his clients as general corporate outside counsel, which includes contract negotiations, licensing agreements, corporate governance, employment issues, and general business planning matters.
Matt represents both domestic and international public and private companies (including entities based in Asia and Europe in their domestic and international business activities) in various sectors, such as luxury, manufacturing, real estate (including real estate investment trusts (REITs)) and technology in a wide variety of matters.
- State of Illinois
- State of California
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2004
- Represented owners of Centurion Container LLC, a leader in North American intermediate bulk container and plastic drum reconditioning, in their sale of a controlling ownership interest to Greif, Inc. (NYSE: GEF, GEF.B) in an all-cash transaction for $145 million.
- Represented Safecor Health, a provider of unit dose drug packaging services, in a recapitalization transaction with the New York-based healthcare services private equity firm, Vesey Street Capital Partners, LLC.
- Represented New Context, a leading U.S-based provider of multi-cloud DevSecOps services to large enterprise, infrastructure and government cloud customers, in connection with its sale to Copado, a leading DevOps platform.
- Represented payment processor in connection with sale of controlling ownership interest to global payments technology company.
- Represented First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR), a leading fully integrated owner, operator and developer of industrial real estate, in connection with launch of “at-the-market” offering facility under which up to $800 million shares of common stock may be sold from time to time.
- Represented First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR), a leading fully integrated owner, operator and developer of industrial real estate, in connection with periodic reporting obligations, preparation of proxy statement and corporate governance matters.
- Represented founding principals of Second Horizon Capital in connection with formation of impact investment real estate company that partners with communities to reimagine large-scale, underutilized commercial properties.
- Represented management team in connection with recapitalization of real estate operating platform owned by management team and institutional capital partner.
- Represented development sponsor in connection with creation of programmatic “GP capital” venture with institutional capital partner.
- Represented JDI Realty, an opportunistic private equity real estate firm, in connection with launch of open-ended pooled investment vehicle focused on originating mortgage loans.
- Represented opportunistic real estate investment fund in connection with negotiation of joint venture with state pension fund to finance development of large life sciences project in San Francisco Bay Area.
- Represented opportunistic real estate investment fund in connection with “co-GP” joint venture with institutional capital partner to finance development of multi-use development.
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2014-2021)
- Top 40 Under 40 Corporate Lawyer in Illinois, American Society of Legal Advocates (2019)
- Specialty Co-Chair, Corporate and M&A, TAGLaw® (2019-Present)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association