As a partner in BFKN’s Real Estate group, Julie has extensive experience in a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions, representing both sponsors and investors in all facets of commercial real estate. She is recognized as an industry leader in matters pertaining to real estate development.
Julie regularly advises clients in some of the largest and most complex projects in the U.S., from the predevelopment stage through asset stabilization and disposition. She works closely with clients to successfully navigate the processes of land acquisition and entitlement, design, construction, capitalization, leasing, and financing.
Julie also has extensive experience representing borrowers and lenders in capital markets transactions. She regularly handles secured financing transactions, as well as mortgage loan workouts, restructurings, and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure matters.
Whether she is representing large publicly traded companies, private companies or individual investors, Julie brings a client-centric approach to each engagement.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Knox College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1983
- Negotiation of numerous design and construction documents for proposed development of Cheval Blanc ultra-luxury hotel in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Acquisition and development of multiple several hundred-acre land sites for rail-served industrial parks, including negotiation of design/build and construction agreements, CCR’s, infrastructure agreements, and joint venture agreements.
- $590MM syndicated refinancing and construction loan for owner/investor of high-end retail development in Miami, FL.
- Negotiation of design services agreements, demolition and construction contracts, and entitlement documents for redevelopment of high-end retail properties and high-end hotel in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Acquisition and sale, construction financing, joint ventures, and leasing in connection with redevelopment of urban industrial sites in Chicago, Illinois.
- Negotiation of design and construction documents for owner of high-rise office tower in New York, NY.
- Construction financings and credit facilities in connection with development, redevelopment, and value-add improvements for industrial distribution and office facilities.
- Template form design services agreements, construction contracts, development agreements, and build-to-suit agreements for national real estate companies.
- Negotiation of retail leases for high-end luxury goods tenants in multiple locations.
- Loan restructuring and workouts including deed-in-lieu transactions.
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2020-2023)
- Real Estate Law
- Leading Lawyers Network (2017-2023)
- Top 100 Leading Women Real Estate-Related Lawyers (2018-2019)
- Executive Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
- General Trustee, Knox College Board of Trustees
- Advisory Board, EDSTAR, Inc.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Phi Beta Kappa