In his 40 years of experience, David has cultivated conceptual clarity in analyzing complex issues, precision and comprehensibility in drafting, a reasonable and constructive approach to negotiations, ingenuity in surmounting obstacles, and efficiency in getting deals done. David strives to understand and adjust to each client’s industry-specific objectives in the context of its particular operating environment.
David concentrates his practice on structuring, negotiating, documenting and implementing a variety of complex transactions, including real estate acquisition, development, leasing, secured and unsecured financing, and loan work-outs, as well as related corporate matters. His practice has also encompassed planning for business separations and the formation of successor businesses, including the transition of individual attorneys or practice groups from established law firms to independent practices. David's practice is informed by his early training and experience in litigation, and he continues to be involved in the formulation and evaluation of litigation strategy, legal theories, and settlements.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1982
- Loyola University Chicago, M.A., 1979
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A., summa cum laude, 1977
- Represented the borrower of a $400 million unsecured revolving construction line of credit to fund ground-up and redevelopment projects of various affiliates of a healthcare real estate investment trust (REIT).
- Represented the trustee for the bondholders in the issuance of $30 million in Tel Aviv Stock Exchange-traded bonds secured by mortgages on properties leased to the U.S. General Services Administration, and by equity pledges of interests in several property-level affiliates of the bond issuer.
- Represented a healthcare REIT as ground lessee in the development and financing of a $166 million medical office and research facility forming part of an integrated hospital campus complex in a major metropolitan area, including shared parking facilities and underground tunnel access between the facility and the hospital.
- Represented the administrative agent for a syndicate of lenders in a $160 million unsecured revolving line of credit (expandable to $250 million) for a core real estate investment fund sponsored by the real estate arm of an insurance company.
- Represented the borrowers in an extended series of leased fee and leasehold estate financings for office, hospitality and multi-family properties in a program of bifurcated ownership acquisitions, utilizing long term ground leases.
- Represented the buyer in the $88 million acquisition of the completed first phase of a multifamily residential complex, with a $63.5 million forward commitment to acquire upon completion a second phase to be constructed by the seller.
- Represented an industrial REIT in connection with a series of joint ventures with a state teachers' retirement system for nearly $2 billion of U.S. and Canadian real estate investments, including negotiation of single- and multi-currency subscription debt facilities totaling $950 million.
- Represented the owner of various commercial properties in connection with the sustainability and environmental goals of its ESG program through enhanced operating efficiencies, waste management and resource conservation, including negotiation of agreements with contractors and vendors for various aspects of such facility upgrades.