Dan’s clients regard him as a strategic partner and business advisor in addition to relying on him for his legal judgment. Dan works daily and closely with his clients across their organizations to address operational issues in addition to advising on long-term strategic initiatives.
As Chair of the Luxury Group and former Chair of the firm's Corporate & Securities Group, Dan assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, business planning, corporate counseling, contractual matters, and negotiations. Because of his close affiliation with, and deep understanding of, his clients’ businesses, several of them consider Dan their outside general counsel.
Dan is a key advisor to the LVMH Group and the various luxury, fashion, beauty, and wines and spirits companies under its umbrella, including Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Moët Hennessy, Tiffany, and Sephora. In this role, Dan advises on issues unique to luxury companies and their brands.
Dan regularly counsels his clients on their key commercial contracts, intellectual property issues, employment matters and strategic transactions – particularly, M&A and joint ventures. Dan also regularly negotiates brand ambassador and collaboration agreements between his luxury clients and prominent celebrities and other companies.
Dan is a former adjunct professor of business planning at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law and the Co-Chair of BFKN’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
- State of Illinois
- University of Chicago, J.D., with honors, 1997
- Houghton College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1994
- Represented Moët Hennessy, a division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its acquisition of Joseph Phelps Vineyards, a nearly five-decade-old producer of fine wines from Napa Valley and, more recently, the Sonoma Coast. The deal included 530 acres (215 hectares) of vineyards, including 429 acres (174 hectares) in nine Napa Valley estates and 99 acres (40 hectares) in two estates around the Freestone winery on the Sonoma Coast.
- Represented Safecor Health in its acquisition of Regional Service Center, the largest pharmaceutical repackaging company in the eastern United States.
- Represented VTG North America and VTG Rail, US subsidiaries of VTG AG, the largest railcar lessor in Europe, in their acquisitions of railcar assets from various third parties, including Sumitomo, General Electric Capital, Babcock & Brown, and CIT Group, and ongoing general counseling in the companies’ railcar leasing businesses.
- Represented LVMH in a complex corporate restructuring of the Marc Jacobs companies to strategically align the interests of its founders and investors.
- Represented various luxury companies in their acquisitions of, and strategic joint ventures with the founders of, emerging beauty brands, including Bliss, Fresh, Benefit, Ole Henriksen of Denmark, Urban Decay, Hard Candy, Bite Beauty, Kat Von D Beauty, and Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
- Representated various luxury goods companies in their negotiations of various relationship deals with prominent actors, musicians and celebrities, including Emma Stone, Alicia Vikander, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, Michelle Williams, Will Smith, Sophie Turner, Justin Theroux, Laura Harrier, Ruth Negga, Riley Keough, Jaden Smith, Brittany Spears, Mila Kunis, and Sharon Stone.
- BFKN has a longstanding relationship with LVMH, an iconic luxury goods and services conglomerate with 75+ brands, serving as outside counsel for its corporate and real estate transactions, as well as intellectual property and litigation matters around the world, and providing strategic legal counsel in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, brand management, employment agreements, and endorsement agreements.
- Represented Moët Hennessy and its affiliates in the acquisitions of Newton Vineyard, Belvedere and Chopin vodkas, 10-Cane rum, Woodinville Whiskey Company and an equity interest in Colgin Cellars.
- Represented Neapco in its acquisition of a drivelines division of an affiliate of Ford Motor Company, Dan continues to represent Neapco in the areas of corporate structuring, intellectual property, contractual negotiations, employment and real estate matters as Neapco has grown to become one the world’s largest driveshaft and half-shaft manufacturers.
- Represented Kendo Holdings, Inc., a cosmetics and beauty incubator company owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and affiliated with Sephora, in strategic transactions related to the formation and launch of the brand Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
- Represented Moët Hennessy USA in its acquisition of Woodinville Whiskey Company, LLC.
- Represented LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, aimed at taking minority stakes in emerging, iconic brands, in its equity investment in Gabriela Hearst LLC. Launched by its founder and namesake, Gabriela Hearst, the company is a New-York based luxury ready-to-wear, leather goods, and lifestyle company.
- Represented LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) in strategic corporate and intellectual property transactions related to the formation and launch of Fenty by Rihanna, a new luxury fashion maison of ready-to-wear clothing, shoes, and accessories. The historic collaboration made Rihanna the first woman to create an original LVMH brand, and Fenty the first LVMH-established fashion house in more than 30 years.
- Represented Givenchy – a Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy luxury brand known for its haute couture clothing, accessories, and perfume – in the negotiation of a relationship deal with prominent actress and singer Ariana Grande as the new face of Givenchy.
- Represented Louis Vuitton in finalizing the negotiation of a complementary collaboration with Leandra Medine Cohen – author, blogger, influencer, and founder of independent fashion and lifestyle site, Man Repeller – as the face of the Spring-Summer 2020 women’s shoe collection by Nicolas Ghesquière.
- Represented LVMH Luxury Ventures, an investment arm of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE, in its equity investment in Aimé Leon Dore, a New York-based streetwear brand with a cult following.
- Recognized Practitioner, Illinois Corporate/M&A & Private Equity, Chambers USA (2017-2019)
- Former Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law