Alex counsels public and private companies, boards of directors, and executives on all aspects of executive compensation and employee benefits matters.
As an associate in BFKN’s Compensation & Employment Group, Alex focuses his practice on advising public and private companies on a number of executive compensation and employee benefits matters that arise in connection with mergers and acquisitions and initial public offerings. Additionally, Alex assists companies in the design and implementation of equity incentive, nonqualified deferred compensation, and tax-qualified retirement plans and both companies and executives in the negotiation of executive employment and separation agreements. He also counsels publicly traded companies on reporting and compliance matters involving the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), with a focus on executive compensation-related proxy, disclosure, and corporate governance issues.
Prior to joining BFKN, Alex was an Executive Compensation associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP.
- State of Illinois
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 2020
- Northwestern University, B.A., History, 2017
- SEC Disclosures. Alex represents over a dozen publicly traded companies with the executive compensation and employee benefits aspects of their annual proxy statements, periodic reports, quarterly and annual reports, and initial public offerings.
- Executive Employment Arrangements. Alex counsels corporate clients and executives on the negotiation and drafting of executive employment, transition, and separation agreements and various equity and non-equity incentive arrangements. He has represented corporate clients in the financial services, real estate, luxury goods, software, public relations, and education industries and represented executives in their negotiation of such agreements and arrangements with Fortune 500 companies, private equity firms, and nonprofit organizations.
- Compensation & Employee Benefit Plans. Alex has advised publicly traded and private companies with the design and implementation of equity incentive, phantom equity, and deferred compensation plans, the use of employer stock in 401(k) plans, ESOP matters, and the amendment of employee benefit and executive compensation plans and arrangements to maintain compliance with evolving federal laws.
- Mergers & Acquisitions. Alex has counseled publicly traded and private companies and private equity firms in over 75 mergers & acquisitions with an aggregate value of over $30 billion, including leading luxury goods, financial services, software, and insurance companies.
- Venture Capital. Alex has represented venture capital investors with a variety of executive compensation and benefits matters in numerous eight-figure Series A and Series B investments, including in investment rounds with multiple investors and in the sustainable and health food, pet, wine & spirits, and cosmetics industries.