Abdul has more than 10 years of experience advising financial institutions and fintechs on capital raising transactions, mergers and acquisitions, securities regulation, bank-fintech partnerships, and corporate governance matters. Abdul is conscientious, amiable, detail-oriented, and laser-focused on his clients’ needs.
Abdul frequently advises private and publicly-traded companies on all facets of the M&A process, from crafting letters of intent and managing due diligence investigations, through the negotiation of definitive merger agreements and the regulatory approval process.
Abdul is also an experienced securities attorney, having worked as the lead SEC counsel for many of BFKN’s public company clients, including their public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, exchange offerings, and IPOs. He has also been one of the lead partners on the firm’s de-SPAC transactions.
Additionally, Abdul regularly advises companies involved in Blockchain technology, digital assets, non-fungible tokens (NFT), and cryptocurrency on corporate formation matters, strategic planning, licensing, and bank partnerships. He is co-chair of the firm’s Recruiting Committee, and a member of the Business Development and DEI Committees.
Abdul is a frequent writer and speaker on banking and securities law topics, including capital planning and growth strategies, the M&A environment, and digital partnerships. Abdul has built long-standing relationships with clients, investment bankers, and members of the financial industry across the country.
Before joining BFKN, Abdul was an associate in the corporate group at a large national law firm in New York. He has project experience with Islamic finance and is fluent in Urdu.
- State of Illinois
- State of New York
- State of Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2009
- University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business, B.B.A., 2004
- Represented First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE) in numerous M&A transactions, including its acquisitions of First Community Financial Corporation (Nasdaq: FCFP), Pulaski Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: PULB), Herget Financial Corp., Mid Illinois Bancorp, Inc., and The Banc Ed Corp., and the sale of certain mortgage origination offices to MB Financial, Inc. (Nasdaq: MBFI).
- Represented QCR Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: QCRH) in numerous M&A transactions, including its acquisitions of Guaranty Federal Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: GFED), Community National Bancorporation, Guaranty Bankshares, Ltd., Springfield Bancshares, Inc., and Community State Bank, and the sale of Rockford Bank and Trust Company to Heartland Financial USA, Inc. (Nasdaq: HTLF).
- Represented a national insurance company in connection with the creation of joint ventures with one of the country’s largest commercial banks with respect to its credit card and banking businesses.
- Negotiated the sale and acquisition of numerous insurance companies, wealth management firms, and broker-dealers.
- Represented Midland States Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: MSBI) in its acquisition of Alpine Bancorporation, Inc.
- Represented CNB Bank Shares, Inc. in its acquisition of Jacksonville Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: JXSB).
- Represented Taylor Capital Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: TAYC) in its acquisition by MB Financial, Inc. (Nasdaq: MBFI).
- Represented First Clover Leaf Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: FCLF) in its acquisition by First Mid Bancshares, Inc (Nasdaq: FMBH).
- Represented Bankmanagers Corp. and its wholly owned subsidiary, Park Bank, in its sale to First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: FMBI) valued at approx. $193.8 million.
- Represented Iowa First Bancshares Corp. (OTC Pink: IOFB) in its acquisition by MidWestOne Financial Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOFG).
- Represented ATBancorp in its sale to MidWestOne Financial Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOFG).
- Represented numerous banking clients in their sale transactions to Wintrust Financial Corporation (Nasdaq: WFTC).
- Represented Midwest Community Bank in its acquisition by GreenState Credit Union.
- Represented LincolnWay Community Bank in its acquisition by CoVantage Credit Union.
- Represented Golden Eagle Community Bank in its acquisition by Advia Credit Union.
- Represented underwriters and placement agents in connection with numerous capital offerings, including registered offering and private placement transactions by HBT Financial, Inc. (Nasdaq: HBT), First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE), Guaranty Federal Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq: GFED), Tri-County Financial Group Inc. (OTCQX: TYFG), National Bancorp Holdings, Inc. and Woodforest Financial Group, Inc.
- Represent many financial institutions with respect to public offerings and private placements of common stock, subordinated debentures, and convertible subordinated debentures.
- Represented QCR Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: QCRH) in its offering of $100 million in aggregate principal amount of subordinated notes.
- Represented First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE) in its offering of $125 million in aggregate principal amount of subordinated notes.
- Represented Old Second Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: OSBI) in its offering of $45 million in aggregate principal amount of subordinated notes.
- Represented Taylor Capital Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: TAYC) in its offering of $100 million in aggregate principal amount of preferred stock.
- Advised numerous banks and fintechs through partnerships and in connection with providing Banking-as-a-Service (BaaS) products.
- Performed fintech regulatory due diligence on behalf of banks.
- Advised Web3 company on founder negotiations, corporate formation, governance and capital raising transactions.
- Advised digital asset firm on overhaul of organizational documentation.
- Represented NFT marketing firm in connection with corporate reorganization and client-facing agreements.
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2019-2022)
- Senior Note & Comment Editor, Wisconsin International Law Journal
- Wisconsin Moot Court Board