Contact us to help develop a training program tailored to the specific needs of your board of directors.
As set forth in the “heightened expectations” guidance described in our Client Alert:
ABA’s 2014 Washington Banking Law Committee Meeting (November 2014), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) now requires boards of directors of certain banks to establish and adhere to a formal and ongoing director training program. Although this enhanced requirement only applies to large national banks, it is expected that all regulators for banks of all sizes will adopt similar standards.
Essential Training Topics
Your training program should be tailored to fit your directors’ knowledge and experience, as well as your bank’s risk profile. Training sessions should cover the following topics:
- Products, services, lines of business and risks that may significantly impact your bank;
- Applicable laws, regulations and supervisory expectations; and
- Other relevant topics identified by your board.
Establishing a program and properly recording its contents in minutes of meetings can help your directors better comport with their fiduciary duties and help to mitigate the evolving risks your bank will face.
We Can Help You
For years, we've helped our clients by developing and conducting training programs essential to their boards of directors, often in conjunction with management and internal compliance. These sessions are tailored to fit the client's schedule and can be conducted on-site, telephonically or online via webcast. Click any of the links below for more information about some of our director training programs, including:
- Cybersecurity: New Director Responsibilities
- Fiduciary Duties: Acting in the Best Interest of Your Shareholders
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM): Effectively Controlling Risk
- New Products & Services: Managing the Process
- Vendor Oversight: Assess, Monitor & Control Risks
- Compliance Risk Management: What You Need to Know
- BSA/AML: The Latest Trends
Please contact one of our attorneys, which include former regulators and examiners, if you require assistance in establishing a director training program or would like us to conduct training sessions.
- OCC Finalizes Its Heightened Standards for Large Financial Institutions (September 2, 2014)
- Client Alert: ABA’s 2014 Washington Banking Law Committee Meeting (November 19, 2014)