Michael is an experienced litigator and a trusted advisor to the Firm’s clients. Michael has handled a wide variety of litigation matters, including those involving commercial contracts, business torts, federal and state statutory claims, and consumer class claims. In addition to his litigation practice, Michael counsels clients on a broad range of legal issues, including business disputes and negotiations, consumer statutes, and regulatory matters.
Michael has leveraged his litigation experience to achieve significant results for the Firm’s clients. His experience includes:
- Briefing and arguing successful motions, including summary judgment motions.
- Giving opening and closing argument and taking direct and cross-examination of witnesses.
- Working closely with expert witnesses to develop their analyses and testimony.
- Taking and defending depositions.
- Managing document collection and production.
Clients rely on Michael’s counsel to achieve their business goals and minimize legal risk. Representative matters include:
- Advising a foodservice company regarding the interpretation of multibillion-dollar contracts with key national business partners.
- On behalf of a motor vehicle manufacturer, administering a program to improve dealer performance, serving as the primary point of contact for dealer communications for one-third of the country.
- Drafting disclosures for a consumer subscription program to conform to federal and state law.
- Counseling on a broad array of other topics, including consumer statutes, business torts, arbitration provisions, and regulatory matters.
Settlement forms an integral part of the modern legal landscape. Cases frequently end in settlement or settle before they begin, and judges expect parties to actively discuss settlement throughout litigation. Michael’s settlement experience includes:
- Analyzing client data to quantify potential exposure risk and achieve favorable settlements without the expense of hiring an expert witness.
- Representing clients at mediations.
- Negotiating and drafting complex settlement agreements for class action matters.
- Advising clients regarding the risks and benefits of settlement.
Michael’s pro bono practice includes the following matters:
- Juvenile resentencing. In a full, adversarial hearing, took witness testimony and successfully argued for a sentencing reduction for a prisoner who had been given a life sentence as a juvenile.
- Political asylum. Prepared an expert witness and developed an extensive factual record in support of an asylum claim, which was granted.
- School discrimination. In partnership with the ACLU, obtained a six-figure settlement on behalf of a transgender student whose school discriminated against her in violation of Illinois law.
Activities & Honors
- Selected, Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2022)
- Articles Editor, Michigan Law Review
Articles & Publications
- August 19, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- August 4, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 11, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 1, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 30, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 15, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 9, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 3, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 27, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 4, 2022 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 4, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 19, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- Barack Ferrazzano & ACLU of Illinois Obtain Six-Figure Settlement on Behalf of Transgender Student Who Sued School District for DiscriminationJanuary 29, 2021
- January 23, 2019 – Law360
- December 19, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- June 18, 2015
- February 25, 2015
- February 2, 2015
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 2014
Brandeis University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2010
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)