Lance R. Rodgers
As a tax & planning attorney with 40+ years of experience, Lance focuses on a relationship-oriented tax practice, thereby enabling him to utilize his immense creativity in a manner uniquely suited to each client’s personalized needs and aspirations.
Lance is the co-chair of the Firm’s Tax & Business Planning Group, serving both large and closely held entities and individuals domestically and abroad, Lance handles complex joint venture and corporate transactions, formulating optimal structures, and the characterization of funding in the tax, real estate, securities, intellectual property, and estate planning fields. This has manifested itself through devising unique business and tax structures in both the domestic and international realms exclusively available to BFKN clients.
Lance has an uncanny ability to differentiate between what is merely "creative" as opposed to what is not only creative but also legitimate under the tax laws, which is what sets him apart from many others in the upper echelons of the Tax Bar. This has been borne out with the various Tax Reform Acts that periodically arise, which invariably have corroborated the foundational precepts of Lance's structures (thereby making them all the more valuable), while other tax practitioners scramble for new paradigms.
On that basis, it is not surprising that he has been vetted by, and regularly receives, client referrals from the likes of BlackRock, Merrill Lynch, UBS, and Wintrust to utilize these proprietary structures for the benefit of some of their most significant customers. Lance advises clients before the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities through the audit stage and beyond.
Led a team that created a European operating platform for a public U.S. real estate company having operations and investment activities in Belgium, France, Germany, and the Netherlands, as well as financial and managerial operations in Luxembourg. The project involved a cross-border tax strategy for the client and its institutional co-investors, as well as legal engineering in the areas of corporate matters, employment and real estate law, and supervised coordination of local counsel in each EU country of interest.
Structured loan and equity investments for individual and institutional investors out of countries not benefiting from U.S. Income Tax Treaties that nonetheless legitimately eliminated both U.S. tax withholding and other U.S. income tax consequences. Formulated structures for non-U.S. companies affiliated with U.S. entities having U.S. permanent establishments that legitimately enabled their income to be maintained offshore.
Articles & Publications
- September 10, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- November 23, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- September 10, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 12, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 5, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 14, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 31, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 29, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- October 24, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 30, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 2, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination CycleDecember 20, 2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- August/September 2015
- October 1, 2012
- June 22, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 18, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- March 2013 – Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- April 2011
- July 2010
- February 2009
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1974 with honors
Harvard College, A.B., 1971 with honors
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois