Andrew’s practice focuses on counseling companies and executives in compensation, benefits, and employment matters in all phases of the employment relationship and in a broad variety of corporate transactions. He draws on a wealth of experience when drafting and advising clients about the design, implementation, termination, regulatory compliance, and enforceability considerations of employment agreements, noncompetition and nondisclosure covenants, non-qualified deferred compensation plans, tax-qualified retirement plans, and equity incentive plans.
A former litigator and two-time federal judicial law clerk, Andrew is skilled at efficiently analyzing employment and compensation disputes and any potential claims under federal and state laws, and in translating legal complexities into clear decisions and recommendations that are useful and tailored to each client’s needs.
Andrew’s practice additionally involves assisting the Firm’s public company clients, including over a dozen financial institutions and REITs, with SEC reporting obligations for executive and equity-based compensation. He also participates in the Firm’s robust pro bono practice, through which he has provided ongoing advice in employment matters to a Chicago-based non-profit and successfully represented an indigent civil rights plaintiff in federal court.
Outside of his professional commitments, Andrew enjoys traveling, staying active, and house music.
Represented Bank First Corporation (Nasdaq: BFC) ("Bank First") — the holding company of Bank First, N.A — in the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire Tomah Bancshares, Inc. ("Tomah"), in an all-stock merger transaction.
- First Defiance Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: FDEF) and United Community Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: UCFC) Merger
Represented First Defiance Financial Corp. (“First Defiance”) (Nasdaq: FDEF) in connection with its definitive merger agreement in which United Community Financial Corp. (“United Community”) (Nasdaq: UCFC), will merge into First Defiance in a stock-for-stock transaction.
Represented Bankmanagers Corp. and its wholly owned subsidiary, Park Bank, in connection with its acquisition by First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. (“First Midwest”) (Nasdaq: FMBI).
Served as primary counsel to Invesque Inc. (TSX: IVQ.U) ("Invesque"), a healthcare real estate company serving the U.S. and Canada, in its acquisition of a number of senior living properties and Commonwealth Senior Living, LLC ("Commonwealth"), a transaction that will position Invesque as a leading healthcare platform and open the door for future growth.
Representation of Level One Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: LEVL) and its subsidiary Level One Bank (HQ: Michigan) in M&A, IPO, subordinated debt, and other transactions.
Represented Gateway Banc Corp. in connection with its definitive merger agreement with McLaughlin Holding Company.
Served as counsel to PGB Holdings, Inc. and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Pacific Global Bank ("PGB"), in their acquisition by RBB Bancorp (Nasdaq: RBB) and its subsidiary, Royal Business Bank.
Activities & Honors
- Selected, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021)
- Member, Lesbian & Gay Bar Association of Chicago
- Law Clerk, Hon. Sheila Finnegan (N.D. Ill.)
- Law Clerk, Hon. Valerie P. Cooke (D. Nev.)
- Editor, California Law Review
- Co-Editor in Chief, Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law
Articles & Publications
- September 9, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- July 13, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- July 7, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- July 2, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- June 12, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- June 3, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 10, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 9, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: COVID-19 Considerations For Your Company’s 401(k) & Other Tax-Qualified Retirement PlansMarch 27, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- February 27, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 29, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client ALert
- April 24, 2019
- April 3, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 14, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- August 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- July 8, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- May 18, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- March 10, 2020 – Globe Newswire Press Release
- February 3, 2020 – First Defiance Financial Corp. Press Release
- January 15, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 13, 2020 – Yahoo Finance
- January 2, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 1, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 7, 2018 – SENB Bank Press Release
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., 2014
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., with distinction, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois