Alice is an associate in the firm’s Tax & Business Planning Group. Alice’s practice focuses on a broad range of federal and international tax issues. She advises publicly traded and private companies including real estate investment trusts (“REITs”) on business formations, initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, loan agreements, and public and private debt/equity offerings. In addition, she represents individual and corporate clients in structuring business and tax solutions to meet their personalized needs. Alice has also practiced in the Firm’s commercial Real Estate Group.
Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, she was a legal intern at a publicly traded international technology services corporation where she handled intellectual property matters, assisted in the development of a corporate security takeover defense manual, and advised the Board in challenged director decisions. Prior to attending law school, she created and taught an AP English curriculum to urban youth and led a college readiness seminar team for Teach for America. In addition, as a Yale-China fellow, she interned at the United Nations Children's Fund in Beijing, China, where she researched, analyzed, and presented international models of child protection and related laws to leaders of the HIV/AIDS, Protection and Policy departments to assist in establishing a child welfare system.
During the summer of 2014, Alice was a Public Interest Law Initiative graduate fellow at The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights and was sponsored by the Firm. She continues to represent asylum seekers in her pro bono work.
Representation of Anchor Bancorp, Inc. in connection with its sale to Old National Bancorp (Nasdaq: ONB).
Represented First Busey Corporation (Nasdaq: BUSE), in connection with its definitive agreement to acquire Investors’ Security Trust Company.
- First Defiance Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: FDEF) and United Community Financial Corp. (Nasdaq: UCFC) Merger
Represented First Defiance Financial Corp. (“First Defiance”) (Nasdaq: FDEF) in connection with its definitive merger agreement in which United Community Financial Corp. (“United Community”) (Nasdaq: UCFC), will merge into First Defiance in a stock-for-stock transaction.
Represented Bankmanagers Corp. and its wholly owned subsidiary, Park Bank, in connection with its acquisition by First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. (“First Midwest”) (Nasdaq: FMBI).
Served as primary counsel to Invesque Inc. (TSX: IVQ.U) ("Invesque"), a healthcare real estate company serving the U.S. and Canada, in its acquisition of a number of senior living properties and Commonwealth Senior Living, LLC ("Commonwealth"), a transaction that will position Invesque as a leading healthcare platform and open the door for future growth.
Representation of Level One Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: LEVL) and its subsidiary Level One Bank (HQ: Michigan) in M&A, IPO, subordinated debt, and other transactions.
Representation of Moët Hennessy USA in its acquisition of Woodinville Whiskey Company, LLC.
Represented QCR Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: QCRH) in connection with the divestiture of its wholly-owned subsidiary, Rockford Bank and Trust Company, to Illinois Bank & Trust, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Heartland Financial USA, Inc. (Nasdaq: HTLF).
Represented USAmeriBancorp, Inc. (OTC Pink: USAB), in connection with its merger with Valley National Bancorp (NYSE: VLY).
Activities & Honors
- Selected, Real Estate Law, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021)
- Co-Coordinator, Chicago Bar Association's Federal Taxation, Young Lawyer's Subdivision
- General Counsel, Chicago Tech Academy
- Ambassador, Legal Aid Chicago
- Host Family, Safe Families for Children
- Benevolence Fund Director, The Painted Door Church (2018-2020)
- CBA Federal Tax Section Award for Academic Achievement in Taxation (2014)
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) Graduate Fellow, Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights (2014)
- Associate Editor, Northwestern University Law Review (2013-2014)
- Northwestern Law Scholars Program (2012-2014)
- President, Real Estate & Estates and Trusts, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (2012-2013)
- Memorandum Contributor to UN Special Expert Professor David Scheffer, Khmer Rouge Trials (2011-2012)
- Edward Zigler Center in Child Development and Social Policy Fellow (2007-2009)
- Yale Alumni Interviewer for College Admissions
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- September 22, 2020 – Speaker
- October 2019 – Speaker (Chicago, IL)
- June 20, 2019 – Sponsor (Chicago, IL)
Articles & Publications
- November 23, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- September 10, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- May 12, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 29, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- April 24, 2019
- April 3, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- March 14, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 30, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- January 7, 2021 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 7, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 6, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 20, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- March 10, 2020 – Globe Newswire Press Release
- February 3, 2020 – First Defiance Financial Corp. Press Release
- January 15, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2, 2020 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 16, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- September 3, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 1, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 15, 2019 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 22, 2018 – Business Wire
- January 9, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- January 2, 2018 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- November 3, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- August 8, 2017
- July 13, 2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- December 1, 2016
- July 2016
- January 28, 2015
- November 25, 2014
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2014
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, LLM, with honors, 2014
University of Pennsylvania, Masters of Education (Urban Education), 2011
Yale University, B.A. in Sociology (International Studies), with distinction, 2009
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois